mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Speed dial 7 adjustability

Does anyone know if these levers can be adjusted such that they would be suitable for caliper and cantilever brakes?

Yo.
    if you mean road caliper and center-pull cantilever brakes, no.

If you mean disc caliper and linear-pull cantilever brakes, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was hoping that the levers would work for road caliper brakes when the levers were adjusted so that the cable attachment point was closest to the lever pivot point. I wanted to buy the levers for my current commuter and later transfer them to a mountain bike I'm building up. I guess that won't work then....

LDH
    mtbr member
    I ran some sd5 levers with my side pull road brakes, they worked but not super strong until I scored some tektro bmx levers on ebay which work great.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Tektro-BMX-C...3286.m20.l1116

Former Bike Wrench
    Get the Tektro RT354 levers...problem solved

Rub it............
    Actually the SD7 levers work quite well with center pull cantilevers. They also work well with the BMX style brake caliper too.

I just pulled a set off my old hardtail with the above mentioned brake setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    On the more technical/geeky side, does anyone know the approximate range of mechanical advantages to which the SD7s can be set? I can't seem to find this information anywhere online. The Avid website is next to useless.

Apparently, a lever mechanical advantage of ~2 is appropriate for V-brakes, while a mechanical advantage of ~4 is appropriate for (road) caliper brakes.