mtbr member

Special Problem with Formula The One 2010

Hi folks,

I've got a special problem with my 2010 The Ones:

If I pull the lever quickly, there is a firm pressing point and tons of braking power, but if I pull the lever slowly it nearly reaches the handle bar before the pressing point is there. Braking power then reduces dramatically...

I've bleeded the brake yesterday, but problem is still there. There are no leaks, system is closed.

Anyone knows what the problem could be? I never had such strange behaviour with brakes...

Brgds
    Lars

Attached two pics showing the position of the pressure point
    1st: lever pulled slowly
    2nd: lever pulled quickly

Please excuse my English, as I'm not a native speaker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Special Problem with Formula The One 2010-theone_1.jpg  

Special Problem with Formula The One 2010-theone_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    They need a better bleed.

mtbr member
    I would try to bleed the brakes again. There still seems to be air in the system. If the problem is still there after another one or two bleeds, you made need to send the MC back to Formula.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bleed has not been done properly.

mtbr member
    I'm new to hydraulic brakes on bikes, but am very familiar with auto applications.
    From what you've discribed this is a classic master cylinder piston seal leak symptom.

Knollician
    I had the same problem with my K24s. It is not a bleed issue, but rather a faulty master cylinder seal. The fluid is under minimal pressure and is moving slow enough that it can bypass the seal.

Call Formula, send it in. They have a very quick turn around and will have you working in no time.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I had the same problem with my K24s. It is not a bleed issue, but rather a faulty master cylinder seal. The fluid is under minimal pressure and is moving slow enough that it can bypass the seal.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. If it's not air in the line, it can only be a defective MC piston seal (or, worse-case scenario, a over-machined piston bore).

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would say it need a better bleed,Air still in the lever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9218
    I'm new to hydraulic brakes on bikes, but am very familiar with auto applications.
    From what you've discribed this is a classic master cylinder piston seal leak symptom.
    I agree that this is the symptoms in a car of a leaking master cylinder seal. Despite what others say if a bleed was needed you would have the problem all of the time and not just when you pull the lever slowly.

Tim

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Awesom-o,
    Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your brakes. A problem like that is pretty hard to diagnose without actually seeing the brake in person. It could point to a bleed issue or a faulty MC piston seal like some on this forum have suggested, but it could also be something else.

The best way to find a solution to your problem is to either take the brake to your local bike shop or call the distributor in your country. I noticed that you are in Germany where we have one of our best distributors: Cosmic Sports. I would recommend that you contact them and they can help you find the best solution to getting your brakes fix and back on the trail as quick as possible. You can find their contact info here: http://www.formula-brake.it/en/distributors

Cheers,

Chris Costello
    Perigeum Development / Formula Brake USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had the exact same issue with my Biancos and my R1s, both times it was the master cylinder seal. Initially I tore my hair out bleeding and re-bleeding, with no improvement in lever feel, and eventually was put onto the master cylinder issue.

Fixed the problem by going back to XTR.

mtbr member
    Hi, many thanks for your replies.
    I suppose it will be a problem with the MC as most of you do. Because I bleeded them correctly and it was not the first time for me bleeding brakes.
    Now I will contact our german distributor (Cosmic Sports) hope they will help because I've bought them originally from an italien online store.

Btw, regarding power, modulation and weight the brakes are the best I've ever ever used. Hope that reliability won't be same as with earlier italien sport cars ;-)