Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831

    son squeezed brake lever without tire in place. Now what?

    I bought a new bike recently--my first with hydraulic brakes. Today I had the wheels off to switch tires, and my son squeezed the front brake handle. Oops! Not good. To get the front tire to go back on, I had to slip a screwdriver blade between the brake pads and lever them back away from each other. I managed to get the tire on, but the brake still drags. What can I do? It's an hour drive one way to get to the dealer. If there's an easy solution, I'd like to avoid the drive.

    Brakes are Avid Juicy 3s, by the way.

    I'm a bit worried about having used the screwdriver to pry the pads further apart. Is there anything I could have damaged by doing that?

  2. #2
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    I bought a new bike recently--my first with hydraulic brakes. Today I had the wheels off to switch tires, and my son squeezed the front brake handle. Oops! Not good. To get the front tire to go back on, I had to slip a screwdriver blade between the brake pads and lever them back away from each other. I managed to get the tire on, but the brake still drags. What can I do? It's an hour drive one way to get to the dealer. If there's an easy solution, I'd like to avoid the drive.

    Brakes are Avid Juicy 3s, by the way.

    I'm a bit worried about having used the screwdriver to pry the pads further apart. Is there anything I could have damaged by doing that?
    You did right - just pry the pads apart. I use a couple of clean screwdrivers but some nervous nellies use plastic tire levers. If the brake is dragging, perform the op again - pry both pads all the way back and pump the lever until the pads adjust. That should do it. If they still drag then do the CPS adjustment (caliper positioning system) - it should be on their site.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

  3. #3
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,513
    Throw out the bike. Buy a new one and start again.


    Or do what Mike T wisely advises
    Life....the original terminal illness

  4. #4
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Throw out the bike. Buy a new one and start again.
    "Dear I have bad news. Junior squoze my brake lever and now I gotta buy a new bike. Sorry dear, your non-stick pans will have to wait."
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    153

    Faq

    Use the Disc Brake FAQ?

  6. #6
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    son squeezed the brakes huh ?
    thats right up there with the dog farted

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Throw out the bike. Buy a new one and start again.
    LOL! My wife says only if she can throw me out and get a new husband .

    I actually am about to buy another new bike. My wife is pretty good about letting me do that. I plan to buy a book on maintenance too...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831
    BTW, thanks everyone, for the advice. I'll have a go at the brakes again after work tonight. I appreciate the help.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    82
    I love the humor of this place! :]
    These posts are addicting.

  10. #10
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbsince1981
    Use the Disc Brake FAQ?
    Naww, a couple of screwdrivers work better.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

  11. #11
    MTBR Demi-God
    Reputation: anirban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    I actually am about to buy another new bike. My wife is pretty good about letting me do that. I plan to buy a book on maintenance too...

    Wow, and here my GF is not letting me buy a wheelset and a drive train upgrade with my tax return... I strongly advise you to take advantage of her ignorance while it lasts!
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    24
    Sounds like you are whipped Mr. Anirban...and you aren't even married yet!

  13. #13
    MTBR Demi-God
    Reputation: anirban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by Klooginator
    Sounds like you are whipped Mr. Anirban...and you aren't even married yet!
    Oh well... what can I say...
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,831
    Quote Originally Posted by anirban
    Wow, and here my GF is not letting me buy a wheelset and a drive train upgrade with my tax return... I strongly advise you to take advantage of her ignorance while it lasts!
    Oh, my wife's not ignorant by any means. She knows full well what the bikes cost. She sees that I ride 'em a lot too, and she's supportive. I'm very lucky.

  15. #15
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    13,743
    LOL- Blame it on the kid, I never thought of that one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •