Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004

Something to make your life easier.

Here's some simple instructions to make your brake experience better, especially the newbies.

1. Look to the right of your screen. See a link that says Disc Brake FAQ?
    2. Click that link.
    3. Read it thoroughly. It's not that long.
    4. Marvel at the fact that your question was answered, and you didn't have to wait an hour, a day, or even a few minutes for your answer.
    5. Apply that knowledge, go ride, be happy.

Seriously..... Mikey Tea, Pat Tea, Thorsten, Uber, and myself put a LOT of time into writing that FAQ. It covers almost everything you could ask about disc brakes, and alot of things you didn't even know you SHOULD ask. It took us 6 months and better to write, and we did it for one reason:

To make YOUR life easier.

Please, take the time to read it. If you do, you'll find that you're less frustrated with your brakes, because you now know the answers to your problems. You'll also find that they'll work better, be more reliable, and require less maintenance.....just follow the instructions.

It does NOT cover some manufacturer specific questions, otherwise it would have been 100 pages long, or better.......please, ask those questions here. But the rest is covered, I promise.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Why don't you Stickey a topic that says. Disc brake FAQ , then people will see it before they post.

We get titles?

I didn't know there was anything to the right...

I didn't know there was anything to the right. Maybe I have a small monitor; I'm honestly not sure of the size. When I view the discussion boards, my screen is filled (left ot right) with the board. The last column, which lists views, is the last thing I see. Until I read your post, I had no idea that there was anything further right.

The FAQ is in lousy location. I'd suggest that if you want people to click on it, you should move it to a place where they'll see it and do something to draw their attention (that rotor pic doesn't do it in my opinion, but I never saw it to begin with, so...)

But please don't discourage people from posting. I know people ask the same questions over and over, but they're always answered in a different way. Sometimes incidental information included in routine answers turns out to be the most valuable of all.

There's no app for this.

Wink I spiled oil on my hydrolics

and they stil skweel, whut shuold I due, Heff? i used the propane torch to light the oven, but the gas was on and now the house burned down, but the skweel is stil there? Whut's up with that? How does that make my life easier? I'm homeless with skweely breaks and hydrolic bbreak cylanders problems all over, whut shud I do?

yor frend, Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    HOLY shite JIM !!!!!

That canadian spell checker is busted again...... better run out to your local software igloo and get some new stuff...... don't forget to rub it dowen good with whale fat so it runs smooooooooooth.
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jim
    its time to join

hidrooolics anonymous

brakemeister

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    What, you toasted yer roter, and now your calliber won't line up wiht teh holse in yer fram?

Eh who needs hydrolic breaks anyway. I prefer JD's method.......Metal Rod Braking System.

banned
    Jan 2004

Smile The skweel is there 'cuz they don't build skweegees into the...

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    and they stil skweel, whut shuold I due, Heff? i used the propane torch to light the oven, but the gas was on and now the house burned down, but the skweel is stil there? Whut's up with that? How does that make my life easier? I'm homeless with skweely breaks and hydrolic bbreak cylanders problems all over, whut shud I do?

yor frend, Jim
    ...brake pads,...but if they did, we'd probably be stopped by homeless guys at trail intersections asking us if they need replacing, or some Windex, or some oranges maybe?...yeh, that's the ticket!...citrus brake cleaner!

Yes and thanks guys for the well thought out and beautiful Brake FAQ (doing golf clap with my bike gloves). You keep us safe from disaster and more importantly, FRUSTRATION!

Maybe there should be a Brake FAQ Heros logo, and stickers, a "remember to bleed so you don't" mantra and the whole nine yards. Peace
    Last edited by Gnarlygig; 02-24-2004 at 06:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We need to STICKY this or just keep bumping it up everyday..... or get Gregg to do something besides sitting around drinking coffee, eating Krispy Kreme's, and playing retro Ms. Pac-Man on his puter....... j/k Gregg
    Pat T.

mtbr member

Speaking of Kripy Kremes.....

We just got a Krispy Kreme in Vancouver. It opened yesterday. There was a big thing on the news, a taste test (Kripy VS Timmy Ho's)

Very exciting.

MTB related - eating donuts makes me fat so I hafta ride to get rid of the excess weight....

Quote Originally Posted by Pat T.®
    We need to STICKY this or just keep bumping it up everyday..... or get Gregg to do something besides sitting around drinking coffee, eating Krispy Kreme's, and playing retro Ms. Pac-Man on his puter....... j/k Gregg

A wheelist

Geee yer grouchy...............

...............b!tching at the Newbs like that! Maybe 'coz I don't get to post as much anymore with the "new & improved" mtbr (coz I don't read nearly as many posts) I wanna tipe out some more hidrolic braek generel nollij. So get off their backs!
    Last edited by Mike T.; 02-25-2004 at 03:24 PM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Uber V Cripp
    Quote Originally Posted by heff®
    What, you toasted yer roter, and now your calliber won't line up wiht teh holse in yer fram?

Eh who needs hydrolic breaks anyway. I prefer JD's method.......Metal Rod Braking System.

Hey Heff. How the F%$# are you. I felt a strange ringing noise in my head that told me to go here and visit my old friends. METAL BAR® Badass braking systems went out of bidness. The racing team and R&D departments all up and died on me. Then their families all filed suit against me. After I became the OJ Simpson of the Bike world I closed shop. I am still sorting it all out in my spare time that I have when I get off work at Tim Hortons. It is really working out for me here as they don't drug test me here. Talk to you as soon as I get a phone and the Bus fare to CT.....jdcamb

A wheelist
    Out of business? Bwaaa................haaaahaaaa! I'm not surprised jd. After all, a metal bar pushed through the spokes was always a p!ss poor idea for a braking system.

My patented Oak Branch braking sytem is blooming! In fact I'm branching out even though I have a slight feeling of going out on a limb. But our roots are firm and we're starting to blossom now that spring is coming and a new season.

I'm not one to bark about my own product but our modulation is our best feature as we can go from a instant-on 3" Oak Branch DH model to the light-as-feather Oak Twig, the ultimate xc brake. Over the winter I developed a quiver that fastens to a CamelBac which can hold up to five diameters of Oak Branch so that you can choose braking to suit the terrain of the moment.

I'm opening up combinations of Oak Branch Braking, Tim Horton's coffee shop and Charles Dicken's Chish & Fipps and selling franchises.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Uber V Cripp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Out of business? Bwaaa................haaaahaaaa! I'm not surprised jd. After all, a metal bar pushed through the spokes was always a p!ss poor idea for a braking system.

My patented Oak Branch braking sytem is blooming! In fact I'm branching out even though I have a slight feeling of going out on a limb. But our roots are firm and we're starting to blossom now that spring is coming and a new season.

I'm not one to bark about my own product but our modulation is our best feature as we can go from a instant-on 3" Oak Branch DH model to the light-as-feather Oak Twig, the ultimate xc brake. Over the winter I developed a quiver that fastens to a CamelBac which can hold up to five diameters of Oak Branch so that you can choose braking to suit the terrain of the moment.

I'm opening up combinations of Oak Branch Braking, Tim Horton's coffee shop and Charles Dicken's Chish & Fipps and selling franchises.
    So glad to hear your endeavor is doing so well. I hope that any animosity that was between us as competitors is water under the bridge. I guess success can be measured through longevity.....in which case you not only have success in business but in life as well.

Mmmmm Fipps and Chish, Donuts, and Brakes in one place! There truly is a God! I may need to stop up to Woodstock and check it out when you have it up and running. Nice try at the limerick as well. Good to hear from you Mike..... Hope your riding season this year will be long and you can put in many miles. Any chance for a springtime Ken Kamp? ........jdcamb

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.

I'm not one to bark about my own product...
    Woodn't you know it... this talk just goes against my grain. Okay, that does it. I'm leaving.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

A wheelist
    Hope your riding season this year will be long and you can put in many miles. Any chance for a springtime Ken Kamp? ........jdcamb
    The (outdoor) season started yesterday with a couple of road rides (just got back) but nawww not much chance for a KK repeat. Hey I did the Squeezer in St Catherines last fall which is not too far from your place. A great event! You should do it this year.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Woodn't you know it... this talk just goes against my grain. Okay, that does it. I'm leaving.

--Sparty
    Ok bud. Fir enuff (nmm)