mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Someone explain types of pads...

Resin, organic, metal, sintered...
    What do they all mean and how can a rotor, such as mine, be "resin pad only?"
    What if I used another pad on it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Brake Pads

From what I gather the Resin and Organic are your lower priced pads that don't wear very long, yet are a little quieter. If you look on most Brake Manufacturers Web sites you will notice the pad referred as Metallic is actually semi metallic, similar to automotive, with metal fillings compressed into the organic base. If you ride in all kinds of weather, rain, snow etc, nothing stops you like the Sintered pads. They are formed under high pressure, made up of bronze and copper. They produce a slight rasping sound, the modulation is awesome, they wear longer and are not affected by heat or especially wet conditions. I have found the other compounds actually float on the rotor for a few revolutions cleaning the surface, howling like crazy before slowing your bike. The Sintered are more money, but are all weather, long wearing and smoother braking. If your model doesn't have Sintered available don't settle for anything less than Semi Metallic.

mtbr member
    Google is very good. This is for cars but pads are the same.
    http://www.se-r.net/car_info/brake_performance.html

As for your resin only rotor, what brand is it? Happen to know what it's made of? I might consider replacing it.