Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19

    Someone Cut My Brake Lines...

    I know I shouldn't be leaving my Mountain bike outside... But I did. Locked outside my dorm on a Friday night. With hundreds of other bikes around me.

    And my 2012 Trek Mamba was messed with for some reason. Im over the fact, just want to get it back in commission. Someone used scissors and cut both brake lines near the front. The hydraulic fluid is now all out.

    The place I bought it from is booked for 2 weeks, and another 15 min away is booked for one week. I thought it might be cheaper to do it myself. How hard is it?

    My trek has Shimano M445s on it. Just follow installation instructions? NEW Shimano Hydraulic Mineral Oil Kit for Disc Brakes - 50ml 689228073005 | eBay

    I would just need 2 of these NEW Shimano SM-BH59 Hydraulic Disc Brake Hose Kit - 1700mm SM BH59 689228070820 | eBay

    and NEW Shimano Hydraulic Mineral Oil Kit for Disc Brakes - 50ml 689228073005 | eBay

    OR for the price, would it be better just to upgrade?

    Thanks guys!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9
    Shouldn't be that hard to do if you have the tools and any amount of natural mechanical skill. Shimano has some really good tech articles on their website. You may need more mineral oil than that though. You can buy it in larger containers and it might be cheaper that way.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Azarraga053 View Post
    I know I shouldn't be leaving my Mountain bike outside... But I did. Locked outside my dorm on a Friday night. With hundreds of other bikes around me.

    And my 2012 Trek Mamba was messed with for some reason. Im over the fact, just want to get it back in commission. Someone used scissors and cut both brake lines near the front. The hydraulic fluid is now all out.

    The place I bought it from is booked for 2 weeks, and another 15 min away is booked for one week. I thought it might be cheaper to do it myself. How hard is it?

    My trek has Shimano M445s on it. Just follow installation instructions? NEW Shimano Hydraulic Mineral Oil Kit for Disc Brakes - 50ml 689228073005 | eBay

    I would just need 2 of these NEW Shimano SM-BH59 Hydraulic Disc Brake Hose Kit - 1700mm SM BH59 689228070820 | eBay

    and NEW Shimano Hydraulic Mineral Oil Kit for Disc Brakes - 50ml 689228073005 | eBay

    OR for the price, would it be better just to upgrade?

    Thanks guys!
    Front hose should be okay toreplace ther rear....

    Just buy a front replacement kit.....you eillneed an extra olive for the cut back front on the rear.

    Ooop sgot that ass backwards.....rear hose should be long enough to replace the front...just get the rear replacement kit....and the extra olive LBS should have in spades....instructions on Shimano Techdocs.com
    Last edited by jeffscott; 09-10-2012 at 11:57 AM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    106
    What kind of a twisted bastard you have to be to cut someones brake hoses? Imagine if you hadn't seen it before riding on the bike...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Front hose should be okay toreplace ther rear....

    Just buy a front replacement kit.....you eillneed an extra olive for the cut back front on the rear.

    Ooop sgot that ass backwards.....rear hose should be long enough to replace the front...just get the rear replacement kit....and the extra olive LBS should have in spades....instructions on Shimano Techdocs.com
    So just get my rear hose and cut it to fit the front length? Thanks!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jernas View Post
    What kind of a twisted bastard you have to be to cut someones brake hoses? Imagine if you hadn't seen it before riding on the bike...
    And I know. Its my daily college commuter bike as well and has been ok outside for 7 months with upkeep. Im just guessing it was some drunk *******... It's not like I have enemies or anything. Just pisses me off the more I think about it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19
    Just a quick question - how much fluid do I really need to fill both reservoirs? Its 15 bucks for the kit, for 30 bucks for a 1 liter of the stuff (but then I have to buy the brake stopper, the tubing, etc). Will the 50ml be enough for 1 whole reload of the reservoirs provided that they're empty? Or no? Thanks!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Azarraga053 View Post
    Just a quick question - how much fluid do I really need to fill both reservoirs? Its 15 bucks for the kit, for 30 bucks for a 1 liter of the stuff (but then I have to buy the brake stopper, the tubing, etc). Will the 50ml be enough for 1 whole reload of the reservoirs provided that they're empty? Or no? Thanks!
    The small bottle should be enough.....I bought the big bottle....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19
    Just had a question - How do I attach the hose? The one Im going to buy seems to have the end fittings whereas if I take the cut rear and put in in the front, Id have to fit it to the old fittings. Just a little lost on how to do it. Thanks!

  10. #10
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,339
    You can reuse your old fittings, however, you WILL need a new compression Olive.

    Here's a great article on shortening hoses for a Hope setup, and granted that its not going to be IDENTICAL to Shimano, there will be some conceptual similarities that might help clarify things for you:

    Hope Braided Hose Assembly Mountain Bike Maintenance

    And here's an article by Shimano for the previous gen brakes:

    http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...20Trimming.pdf

    And here's a thread to suggest that those ^^^ instructions work.

    Shortening Shimano XT hoses

    Good luck! Its not that hard. I shortened my Hope lines for the first time without difficulty. Just read all the steps a few times through, pay attention to what it looks like when you take it apart (take pics if you need to!) and it goes back simple.

    Good advice I got: Make sure you cut the lines using a SHARP pair of line snips.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  11. #11
    Look at the time!
    Reputation: lelebebbel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Azarraga053 View Post
    Just a quick question - how much fluid do I really need to fill both reservoirs? Its 15 bucks for the kit, for 30 bucks for a 1 liter of the stuff (but then I have to buy the brake stopper, the tubing, etc). Will the 50ml be enough for 1 whole reload of the reservoirs provided that they're empty? Or no? Thanks!
    50ml will be enough, there is surprisingly little fluid in a hydraulic brake.


    I suspect that whoever cut your brake line was going to steal your handlebar/stem and got interrupted. I've seen this before, it is an easy target for thieves because it only takes 2 bolts and some side cutters, and you get a handlebar, stem, brake levers and shifters, all of which are easy to carry away and sell. Solution: like you said, don't leave an expensive bike outside.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Azarraga053 View Post
    And I know. Its my daily college commuter bike as well and has been ok outside for 7 months with upkeep. Im just guessing it was some drunk *******... It's not like I have enemies or anything. Just pisses me off the more I think about it.
    You don't necessarily need enemies for your bike to get stolen, you just have to own a bike.
    I would seriously invest in a beater bike, if you are locking your bike outside it's only a matter of time before it's stolen, or maybe next time it might be more than your brake hoses which sustain damage.
    Maybe this is your wake up call.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Azarraga053 View Post
    Just had a question - How do I attach the hose? The one Im going to buy seems to have the end fittings whereas if I take the cut rear and put in in the front, Id have to fit it to the old fittings. Just a little lost on how to do it. Thanks!
    Any LBS should have the neccessary fittings to do it quickly properly and cheaply...

    You need a fresh end and an olive.....don't reuse olives unless you absoulutly have to.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    19
    The LBS said their first appointment is in 2 weeks and that one hose was 40 bucks - where I can get it for 18 online. Maybe just buy it and then bring it to them?

    Also, my friend overheard some girls talking in my dorm - that one of their guy friends had a shitty day and cut someones brake lines at like 2am. Seriously....

    I dont think they were trying to steal anything. My dorm is in front of literally 8 other ones - home to like 4 thousand students - they're always people outside. Still pisses me off. These brake lines cost more than a beater bike...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Econoline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    368
    Another point in favor of mechanical brakes, the lines are harder to cut.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    561
    i put off cutting my front hose length down to correct length for months because i was scared of the whole bleeding etc procedure. Looks like you would be into it for 60 bucks plus a bleed kit. It really isn't too hard w/ basic tools and following directions. I bought a park tool hose cutter but maybe a razor blade would do. It took an hour or two for my maguras and i was surprised how at how well it worked

  17. #17
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Azarraga053 View Post
    Also, my friend overheard some girls talking in my dorm - that one of their guy friends had a shitty day and cut someones brake lines at like 2am. Seriously....
    Sounds like you've got some searching to do.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    213
    Subscribed

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: breckenridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    216
    When I had my MTB at the dorms in college I kept it in my dorm room. The roommate can deal!

  20. #20
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by breckenridge View Post
    When I had my MTB at the dorms in college I kept it in my dorm room. The roommate can deal!
    Same here.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  21. #21
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Econoline View Post
    Another point in favor of mechanical brakes, the lines are harder to cut.
    Ummm? NO.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •