Threading freely...

Some Magura Rotor Questions....

Good day everyone,

I have a set of Louise BAT brakes, and my Louise rotors are toast. This comes as a surprise to me, as my front rotor wore out quicker than the organic pads that came mounted with the brakes. Is it usual for rotors to wear out quicker than pads? I've never had that happen with any other brakes, so I'm rather puzzled (and miffed).

Now, as replacements I can either get the new Storm SL for $30, or the same Louise rotors for $12 on closeout. Are the new Storm SL worth the difference? Aside from weight savings, will they add braking power and will they last longer than the old Louise rotors? I'm thinking that if these rotors last me less than six months, I'm better off buying a bunch of $12 ones....

Finally, must I change brake pads when I change rotors? I have newish pads on there now, and I'm not looking forward to $120 when I got the complete brake set for $200 on CL in the first place.

Thanks so much!
    Threading lightly and respectfully wherever I want....

Pay no mind to us...
    I have Louise and I am on my second set of pads and no noticeable rotor wear.

This is a bit of an odd situation as I have never heard of rotors wearing out before pads over a period of time X.

You using Magura pads with the rotors?

I can't speak to the Storm SL vs Louise rotors in terms of performance or longevity but you will not need to replace pads when you replace rotors or vice versa.

Threading freely...
    Thanks, silentG. Yes, I am using Magura pads, the performance/organic ones they shipped with. Not only that, I'd only used the brakes in dry weather. I'm rather puzzled.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

worn or something else?

To the OP... What makes you believe the rotor is 'worn out"?

mtbr member
    I can't see the storm rotors lasting any longer than the SLs. 2 rotors, same diameter, same material (as are the sl and storm rotors), are going to give equal power, only difference would be if one stayed cooler and resisted fade. The storm might have an edge here, but it would be slight.

I think the only real advantage to the storms is weight.
    I'm also curious about wearing out your rotors. I've been running the same set for several years and they have lots of life yet.

Threading freely...
    Under the caliper, my rotors measure 1.8mm from the original 2mm. Replacement of the Storm SL is recommended at 1.8mm. I thought it was the same for the Louise, but it turns out it's recommended at 1.7mm for the Louise, so they still have a little life in them. Still, I'm puzzled by this rapid wear. On my other bikes and previous brakes, I never came close to having to replace the rotors.

Grams Light Bikes
    Sounds a bit weird. I have been through several sets of pads on my Storm SL's, first with the Marta FR's and now with the MT8's and they still have some life left in them (though close to the end), and I ride the brakes hard, in dirt, snow and gravel.

Threading freely...
    Yes, I've been puzzled, and I've emailed the "Magura People" twice. No answer so far.... In the past, I've emailed Hayes, Answer, Urge, Spank, G-Form, Deuter, DT Swiss, Santa Cruz, Enduro Bearings, and a few others... and all got back to me promptly.