mtbr member

Some help with new Brake purchase parts lists?

I currently have a stock Canondale 29er SL2 Trail. Has the factory shimano Alivio brakes on it. Rotors are 160mm. I have switched to a new Reba fork up front that apparently can handle 200mm discs.

My question was the follow

I was thinking about going with XTR trail calipers and levers. Any thoughts on these?

For discs I was thinking about 200mm ones? Should I go with 200mm ones or stick with 180s? Do I run same size front and rear or larger rotor in front and smaller rear?

Do I need some sort of spacer adapter to make the calipers fit with the larger rotors?

Whats the best pads to use here for wet/ xc type use?

Any other ideas here? I will be ordering it from Chainreaction and want to make sure I dont forget any parts when I place the order.

Thanks

mtbr member
    2012 Shimano Deore M596 Brakes - User review
    Another Shimano SLX M666 (2012) Review
    Love the new 2012 XT brakes

Save your money and get 2012 XT or SLX or Deore M596

The new 2012 XT are very powerful. Many say 160mm F and R would be enough. Maybe 180mm F and 160mm R if you downhill a lot or a larger size rider.

Yes you need to buy new adapters to mount the calipers if you buy larger rotors. The size depends on the rotor size. You can reuse your current mounts if you use the same size rotors.

Limited choice/range for the new 2012 Shimano brakes at the moment. They are still new.

Check out Starbike, bike24 etc for prices as well as CRC.

Many questions have been asked on here before many times. Have a read of this forum.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    On the XTs it lists either 1000mm or 1700mm hose length? Any idea what size I should get for my bike? Also it lists white, black and silver in colours? I cant find a pic of the white, is it a white caliper only or is the lever also white?

Thanks for the advice on the Xts their price looks good

mtbr member
    Also I am abit confused on the adapters. If I have 160mm rotors now, what do I need to get to fit 180 mm rotors if I got with XT calipers? Are these just all one size fits all sort of thing? I am confused on the adapter thing.

For adapters do I want which of the below?

Post mount to post mount 180?

74mm mount to post mount 180?

I have a Reba dual air fork up front. Any ideas?

mtbr member

I am guessing your fork is "IS" mount.
    Shimano calipers are "post mount"

If you want an adaptor for a 180mm front disc. Then you need a 180mm post to IS mount. Just look at the picture of the mount you are buying.

Long hose for the rear and short hose for the front. You may need to shorten the hoses.

Shimano brakes come with the levers both left and right front or rear so order the ones you want ie right front and left rear.

here are pictures of post to IS mount and a post to post mount. Buy the one that you need in the size you want.
    Shimano Mount Adaptor Rear Post to IS 160mm

Shimano Mount Adaptor Front Post to Post 203mm

Have a look at the current mount on your fork/brake. Then order a 180mm one if thats the size you want.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 03-23-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Has the factory shimano Alivio brakes on it. Rotors are 160mm.
    You might feel your current brakes might be lacking in stopping power. There are many reports of how powerful the 2012 XT brakes are. 180mm rotors might be too much power. Maybe just buy a 160mm rotor and try it on the front with your old mounts. Allow enough time to bed in. If it still isn't enough stopping power move it to the rear and buy a 180 for the front.

mtbr member

My guess on what White brakes look like.
    Look at what parts are changed to silver from the black ones.
    Then imagine the same bits in white instead if silver. I am guessing the levers are still black.

mtbr member
    thanks really appreciate the help. I think because I am fairly big having slightly more power will help. I get abit of fade on hills right now, not excessive but its there.

My Reba fork looks like the pic of the 74mm you posted. So I would want a 74mm to 180mm adapter?

The rear looks like IS I think? It has an adapter on it now for the 160mm

mtbr member
    For the front you need a "post to post" mount for the chosen rotor size (160mm don't need mounts on the front).

If you go 180mm front them use 160mm rear. IMHO

180mm front might be too much brake. YMMV

mtbr member
    When you say to much brake I am not sure what you mean? Is it to big and hard to modulate? Or is does it just stop to fast? I weigh about 265 so I need clamping power to stop my fat ass from catapulting into a tree...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel29 View Post
    When you say to much brake I am not sure what you mean? Is it to big and hard to modulate? Or is does it just stop to fast? I weigh about 265 so I need clamping power to stop my fat ass from catapulting into a tree...
    or going "over the bars"

I remember a forum member buying a set of XT brakes with 180mm rotors (the older model). from later posts I suspect he didn't wait for the pads to be bedded in. He upgraded to 203mm rotors. Later when the pads had bedded in He went over the bars. He later posted that he might have made a mistake with the bigger rotors or that they weren't needed.

I have read several reports of people going over the bars with the 2012 XT brakes because they are so powerful. By all reports the 2012 XT brakes have a lot of stopping power.

mtbr member
    Mitzi do I have to go with Shimano rotors here with the XT brakes? Or are any aftermarket rotor ok? I was thinking about either Hope or Clark two piece coloured rotors. Then I have read some stuff about the servo stuff on shimano calipers. Any ideas here?

mtbr member
    There is a "sticky" thread on mixing and matching rotors and calipers here

My understanding is to get the best from your 2012 XT brakes (with the finned pads) you should use the Ice Tech rotors they are designed to work together.

mtbr member
    Ordered the XTs in white. Got Ice Tech rotors, 203 fronts and 160s rear. I hope this combo is a good compromise between stopping power and modulation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel29 View Post
    Ice Tech rotors, 203 fronts and 160s rear
    Thats a lot of brake.

203mm Rotor on 2011 29er Rockhopper?

160mm 180mm 203mm

mtbr member
    Got the XT brakes in. The XT in white comes with silver calipers just like the silver set, only the brake hose is white. No other parts including levers or bits are white..

Bad advertising here on the parts. Oh well. They are being installed now

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If the frame I'm getting (Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon) has rear post mounts, and I'm getting the new XT brakes with 180mm rotors, what adaptor (if any) would I need for the rear??