mtbr member
    May 2008

some help with my hayes

few questions. new to all this.. just got this bike.. didnt understand why the front was not working. when it was shipped lost a pad. didnt see it. pulled the lever. the pistons came so far out it locked up the wheel. took the to bolts of the caliper. didnt think of it and i lost the fluid. piston is way out. does not want to go in. ok to pry it back in? what kinda fluid does it use? was told its just hydraulic oil. wanted to ask before i make it worse.

any help tip/tricks would be great. never had to bleed this kinda thing before. thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    anyone

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What model Hayes?

mtbr member
    be careful you dont bend or break the piston post...if you do you will need new brakes...

Also, contact Hayes CS, they are great and will resolve tons of issues free of charge...i love my hayes brakes because they are solid, and great CS makes it even better...
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    OK so it is of to push it back? just stay away from the center part.. cant find a # on these things. bikes new to me not sure who model

Hates rain
    Yeah just push it back in, be very careful that you push it back in squarely and straight or you could damage the seal. After you get it back in, bleed the brakes then put the pads back in and squeeze the lever firmly about 10 times then check to make sure there is no fluid around the piston. If there is fluid then you damaged the seal.
    The brakes use DOT 4 or 5.1, dont use 5 as it is not compatible.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    here is 2 small poor pics. (sorry) didnt see any # to tell me what they are.. any ideas? thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails some help with my hayes-100_0722.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Hates rain
    Ouch! What happened to your shifter clamp?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    better one of the caliper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails some help with my hayes-100_0729.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    cracked still holds good. if it didnt i would have a new one

mtbr member
    May 2008
    anyone know what they are

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You can push the pad pistons back in place with a 10 mm box wrench

thats a Hayes G1set up

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-con...EnglishWeb.pdf

1. Remove the wheel.
    2. Remove the brake pads so that any spilled fluid does not contaminate the pads. Using the tab in the center of the pad backing plate, pull each pad toward the center of the caliper and out. There is a spring that holds the pad in place. That spring snaps on to the post at the center of the piston.
    3. Push the caliper pistons all the way into their bores using the box end of a 10 mm end wrench.
    Caution: Don’t push on the post in the center of the piston because that will bend the post. Walk the piston back and forth until the piston is all the way back in the bore. Do the same thing on
    the other side

mtbr member
    May 2008
    great thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by H_Tuttle
    You can push the pad pistons back in place with a 10 mm box wrench
    Can someone post a pic/video/link of how this is actually done?

Meh.
    It's simple. If you can't figure it out, take it to a bike shop.

It's not just hydraulic oil, it's DOT fluid. If you lost fluid, the brake will need to be bled.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    its easy. its back in. trying to find a hayes bleed kit and pads now.. i took it to the lbs. 50 to bleed them. seems like a lot. then i thought, if i can do the injection pump and head gasket on my military truck. i can do this.. really easy. figure out as i go. no problem.. thanks for the help guys

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Fifty dollars to bleed the brakes? You can do it yourself pretty easily, I watched and helped my LBS do mine a few weeks ago, you need DOT 4 hydraulic fluid and a small plastic bottle with an adapter to fit the bung. It's a simple job, if you don't have to remove the brake plungers from the housing, you can do it.