mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Idea! Solution found for squealing, vibrating Avid Code5!!!

Change the rotors to Shimano XT SM-RT76. Fits perfectly and you get new, stunning looks. The rotors are much stiffer than the Avid's (especially 203mm which I have).
    So happy about it because the Codes were driving me mad with the vibrations which I could feel with my ass. Now... silence and even modulation and control got better because of the better stiffness of the rotors. Sweet!

mtbr member
    Might be a stupid question but how can you tell that the rotor is stiffer?

Rub it............
    Its not just the rotors. Its a combination of brake caliper, wheels, frame and rotor size.

Squealing/vibration is just resonance. All you did was change the frequency.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So it's better to change the rotors than change the frame or calipers or the whole bike.

Rotors are noticeably stiffer because when I try to bend it, holding the alu spider in Shimano there's no movement at all and the Avids bend by ca. 1mm. Also during riding the Avids were "ringing" by ca. 30km/h and the Shimanos are quiet.

The resonance depends on the weight but also on the stiffnes of the parts. The more stiff the part is, the higher resonance frequency it has. Shimano rotors are stiff enough and it's resonance frequency is not reached while braking.