mtbr member
    May 2009

so this is my first set of hydraulics. question

i have magura louise brakes that haven't been bled other than from the factory. when new, they felt fine, tho it felt like i could pull the levers about halfway before feeling them make contact. however, after about 100 miles, i feel that i can pull the front brake almost all the way. seems to make contact after i pull about 90% of the lever travel. it's sufficient for me to stop but its most definitely gotten worse and in comparison to the rear lever it's pretty obvious. btw, the rear lever pull was the same when new (could pull about halfway before making contact) and hasn't changed.

these are not BAT.

advise?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It sounds like they need to be bled. Could be a leak, so you may also want to look out for that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You could try the rubber band method, before you start bleeding stuff. First I would check for leaks.

The rubber band thing is something I heard about in a motorcycle forum years ago. Pull the lever towards the grip until you reach your normal stopping position, actually slighly less is works just as well and even better for the seals.

Then put a rubber band around the lever to the grip so the lever stays in that position. Check it after a couple hours. What it does is purge any teeny tiny air out of the system, yes even though in theory it should be liqued tight, doesn't neccisarly mean the systems are 100% air tight. I wouldnt reccomend doing it say over night, as that long could possibly cause seals to leak.

I have done it a few times and it does work, at least on motorcycles.

Could be your pads are now thinner too.

mtbr member
    Sounds to me like the system needs a good bleed. As has also been suggested, check the pads.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks, hopefully that's all it takes.
    i guess i'll be performing my first bleed this weekend. any best practices/things to be aware of when i do this? or is it as simple as the youtube videos make i seem? if there is air in the system, will i actually be able to see bubbles emerge?

mtbr member
    I have personally found bleeding brakes to be relatively straight forward, if that means anything. Just follow the instructions/videos.

And yes, you should be able to see bubbles emerging, depending on the bleed technique.