mtbr member

So I did my first bleed....

On a new Hayes Mag and I have to admit it wasn't so bad. One thing I found critical was to make sure the master cylinder/lever was the highest point on the bike. But of course like an idiot I left the pads in and the hose where I was squeezing the fluid in at the caliper (at the bleed valve) broke loose and flowed into the caliper...onto the pads. Is it safe to assume the pads are shot? And what is the best way to get the fluid out of the caliper?

After I got it all bled, with the oiled pads still in, I threw on my rear wheel for a test. I figured I could clean the disc with alcohol afterwards. A few squeezes of the lever showed good travel in the pistons, which I think is a good sign, but not optimal stopping power (from the soaked pads). The disc however is not perfectly centered between the pads and there is a slight rub. Is this as simple to fix as using an allen wrench to bottom out the cylinder? I tried loosening the bolts and jiggling the caliper to no avail.

Anyways just went for a ride and it worked pretty well considering the fouled pads and rotor. If anyone could throw a few ideas around about my questions I would greatly appreciate it.....Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Anyways just went for a ride and it worked pretty well considering the fouled pads and rotor. If anyone could throw a few ideas around about my questions I would greatly appreciate it.....Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you did pretty well except for the pads,they are shot.Centering the caliper is a little tricky sometimes so the rotor doesn't rub.My little trick is to loosen the caliper mounting bolts and just start pushing in buisness cards equally on each side until you can't fit anymore in,holding them against the rotor and then turning the rotor to slide the buisness card spacers into the caliper between the pads and rotor,then just squeese the lever and tighten the caliper mounting bolts.After that just slide out the buisness cards and it should be free.