Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Snapped off Torx rotor bolt head, how do I get it out?

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  DavidR1 
#1 ·
Stupid mistake, but kinda overtightened my rotor and the head of the Torx snapped right off.

Any ideas how to get the rest of the bolt out?

And btw, what size are the threads tapped for the Torx bolts? I'll retap all the threads in the hub to clean them out as well.

#9 ·
Left handed bit might work, but it's a small bolt. (5mm)
Since the bolt was torqued enough to break off the cap, and they usually have blue loctite on them, I would have my doubts on if a left handed bit would grab strongly enough.

The extractor will be the best bet, but to prevent any damage to the hub the proper tools are needed.
-sharp drill bit ( sharp is very important)
-extractor
-drill motor
-hammer
-center punch
-M5 tap for blind holes
-tap handle
-lots of patience

Bits, taps and extractors are also very brittle due to their hardness, so take that into consideration

If you have any machine shops around that take walk-in jobs, it would take less than 5 minutes for a machinist to remove it for you.

#10 ·
Could the OP just use 5 bolts instead of 6?
I've done this on one of my hubs that had a messed up
thread and it seamed to work fine. Just make sure
to loctite the 5 remaining ones.

#17 ·
How thick is that disc mount?

Can you get to the stud of the bolt form behind? If so, you might be able to grab it from behind with a pair of needle nose vise grips. Just be sure not to grab it too hard and booger up the threads. If you booger them up too much it won't back out of the hub.

But yeah, as others have said, I wouldn't blow too much time on it. It works just fine with 5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.