mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Smokin' Hope hydro deal....anyone ever use them?

Seems like a great deal on some closeout Hope hydros...has anyone run them in the past?

link to SPAM post deleted (not evilboytwin's post)

Quote Originally Posted by evilboytwin
    Seems like a great deal on some closeout Hope hydros...has anyone run them in the past?
    I'd be skeptical about using a closed system hydro if you ride extended downhills.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Good to know.....

Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    I'd be skeptical about using a closed system hydro if you ride extended downhills.
    I'm sort of a 'noob at this...so I'll ask a dumb question. What's the problem with a 'closed system' for extended downhills? What do you consider 'extended'?

Would these be better?

link to SPAM post deleted (not evilboytwin's post)

Riding a Rig.

Listen!

I'm not an expert... But, I thinkf in an open system when the fluid expands it is able to go back into a reservor, in a closed system when the fluid expand it has nowhere to go and it has the same effect as as pulling the lever. So that could result in your brakes overheating and locking up I think.' I would just go for Hayes HFX-9s or Avid Juicy 7's.

Avid Juicy 7: 150
    Hayes HFX-9: 100

Either of them would be good choices. If your not set on hydro look at Avid Mechs...
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    I'm not an expert... But, I thinkf in an open system when the fluid expands it is able to go back into a reservor, in a closed system when the fluid expand it has nowhere to go and it has the same effect as as pulling the lever. So that could result in your brakes overheating and locking up I think.' I would just go for Hayes HFX-9s or Avid Juicy 7's.

Avid Juicy 7: http://tinyurl.com/3lhso -- 150
    Hayes HFX-9: http://tinyurl.com/6hc7j -- 100

Either of them would be good choices. If your not set on hydro look at Avid Mechs...
    I'm looking at overall cost and reliability. Juicys are more than I can afford and I'd personally rather keep my current disc brakes if Hayes was my only choice.

I've currently got Avid Mechs and I like them, but I would like the feel of a hydraulic.

I've heard and read great things about both Hope and Formula though.....

open vs closed hydros

My understanding is that on a closed system, as it heats up (from braking), the fluid expands and has nowhere to go. What happens then is the point at which the lever engages will change. I think it is possible that eventually you could lock up the brakes completely. Those C2 levers have an adjuster which allows you to manually increase the size of the (lack of better word) fluid area and adjust for fluid expansion. They are relatively old and I don't think you can find any closed system hydros being made anymore. There is a reason for that. Personally I would not buy them at any price. If you are on a tight budget the best recommendation that I have for new brakes is try everything you are interested before purchasing and do a lot of research so you buy something that fits your needs. Don't get something just because it is on sale, unless you really do not care or want to take your chances.

mtbr remember
    All of Hopes current brake systems are now open-systems, Hope MonoMini, MonoM4 and M6ti, and soon Mono Trials. Excellent brakes, some of the best feeling and modulating brakes you will find anywhere, also some metalworking cnc pieces of eye candy. But, they are relatively expensive, but so are all the brakes in the same class.
    btw- hayes HFX9s or mags can be found for super cheap, and they too are very good brakes, good power, very reliable, easy to find parts almost anywhere, but they don't have the best modulation and the oem levers rattle a lot, but once you get used to them they are really nice, some people swear by them. I would say they are nicer than Avid Mechs too, so in your case, that might be a nice upgrade. Also the Avid Juicy 5's look like they have a pretty low price, and very similar to 7's just different lever and not as adjustable. Also older Shimano XT755 discs are relatively cheap on ebay, etc. and are super nice 4pot brakes, but they use mineral oil instead of dot.
    open systems basically allow for the lever to engage at the same point and have a consistent feel throughout a long ride/hard use, so they aren't going from touching your handlebars to locking up from hot dot.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Riding a Rig.
    Actualy, from what I can tell its not that much more for the 7's, I think it would be worth it.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

Riding a Rig.
    Wern't the ones you posted like 135.00 each? Or was that for a pair?
    -Dave Weagle