Thread: SLX vs XT 2009

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

SLX vs XT 2009

Hi everyone. I'm looking for better brakes than the ones I am currently using (Tektro Auriga Comp), since I want something more powerful.

The only alternative available in my country is the complete line of Shimano. I am looking at SLX (665) and XT (775). The price difference between them is not big (20%).

From what I have read about the 2009 models, both SLX and XT have servowave and a similar weight (may be 30 grams/pair of difference).
    The only difference I found is that XTs have free stroke adjustment (which I don't even know what it is!).

I have read mostly good reviews about XTs, but the SLXs are rather new. Does anybody use them?

Which one do you recommend and why?

mtbr member
    I have the SLX brakes. The stopping is great. Much better than the Auriga Comp.
    I would go with the SLX just because they're cheaper, and otherwise so close to XTs in terms of performance. I don't think you could tell a difference between them.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I own both...slx perfroms at the same level as my xt,and my xtrs look better than both....and my hope motos look and perform better than all three

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Go SLX. I've been usig the new xt's for a year and a half now and the free stroke adustment doesn't do anything.

mtbr member
    I have both. The stopping power of each are about the same. As others have said the "free stoke" adjustment on the XT doesn't really do much.

The XT however are made a little nicer. For example the XT caliper is made from one solid piece of aluminum, and the SLX is two pieces bolted together. Also the lever blade on the XT looks like it's been forged, but on the SLX you can tell it's been pressed. You can also see the XT was made with more weight savings in mind than the SLX. For example the in the clamp on the XT more metal has been machined out than on the SLX.

So basically for your 20% you get slightly lighter, and a little better materials.

mtbr member
    Just an FYI and maybe a bit off topic, the Tektro's use Deore M525 pads. I changed the stock Tektros to the eBay International Brake products flavor (standard semi-metallic) and noticed a bit more stopping power. To me, I do not see a difference now between my Deore LX's and these. Ofcourse the ones your looking at take it up another level.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese
    Just an FYI and maybe a bit off topic, the Tektro's use Deore M525 pads. I changed the stock Tektros to the eBay International Brake products flavor (standard semi-metallic) and noticed a bit more stopping power. To me, I do not see a difference now between my Deore LX's and these. Ofcourse the ones your looking at take it up another level.
    I didn't want to try that many pads, but I tried both the original Tektro pads and Bontrager pads. The original Tektros are way better, but still not enough for me sometimes.

I'll probably buy the SLXs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have SLX's on my Intense 6.6 and Magura Marta SL's on my Titus Carbon X. Both are solid brakes mechanically and work well. The brake fade is much better on the SLX's but the stopping power is improved on the Marta's. I like the way the SLX's look, remind me more of a car disc brake especially with the cotter pin which keeps the pads aligned (I believe the XT's use a pin). So far so good though with 20+ rides on the SLX's. They feel great. I changed out the fluid to some Jaguar Hydraulic Mineral fluid and they even work better. For the price you can't go wrong. I run centerlocks, 7" on the front, 6" on the back and weight 185lbs at 5'11".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I bought the SLXs. I am VERY happy with them, and I don't think I would have any advantage with the XTs (may be durability?).
    They are WAAAAY better than the Tektro Auriga Comp. The biggest difference is how silent these are. The tektro levers had a lot of rattling noise. These don't have any noise at all. And they have more modulation, no fading, no lever getting harder with heat, and they are much more powerful than the Tektros.

Conclusion: these are what I was looking for, with a fair price.
    Last edited by leoh; 05-09-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    I have SLX levers with 08 XT calipers... I pieced mine together for $150 or so (all new). I love the feel of these brakes. Although the SLX lever doesn't feel as nice as the XT (as mentioned the forged vs. pressed), in use though they feel the same. The one piece caliper "should" translate into more power and reliability.
    The SLX lever (and all the new style Shimano levers) will have a Straightline replacements available soon.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.