mtbr member
    Aug 2011

SLX vs. Elixir vs. BB7

All,

Just need some opinions from those that have more experience with these brakes than me.

Here's the scenario:

- BB7 on one of my bikes (no complaints whatsoever; performance is fine, easy adjustments)
    - Elixir 3's on my other bike (I have run into noise, fade, poor modulation issues but currently I have them working perfectly!! ...and I think I know what needs to be done to keep them that way)

- Found a good deal on 2012 SLX brakes with ice tech rotors that I am considering; if I decide to pick these up, which would you vote for to replace? Replace the BB7s or the Elixirs?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Given the experiences I've had with all of those brakes and others, I'd say replace the Elixir 3's with the SLX's. The BB7's will be reliable for a very long time. The 3's (like others in the Avid family) are great brakes but require lots of attention.

wat
    My riding buddy has had constant issues with his Avid Elixir brakes (1 and 7) Noise.. soft levers.. poor modulation.. etc.. I have had Shimano SLX. No noise, firm levers with that awesome Shimano lever feel, powerful braking. Not once requiring a bleed. The difference is immense.. They are a worthy upgrade
    12 Trek Superfly AL Elite
    98 GT STS 1000 DS

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've got sets of both BB7 and SLX currently on my SS and 1x10, respectively. No experience with the Elixir 3s. However, I will say that properly set up BB7s are really comparable the the SLX. The power is a bit lower, obviously, but I really like the BB7s. So, if I was going to suggest one, I'd remove the Elixirs and go with SLX on that bike. You would only need one bleed set up (as opposed to have two different hydros) and the SLX are easy to bleed, and super quiet on the trail.

cowbell
    It's it isn't broken ....

The SLX may be an upgrade on the 3's, so you can sell yourself like that. But honestly, if everything is sorted about the brakes on both your bikes, maybe something else needs upgrading? Or maybe just hold onto the money...you might need a tire at some point

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    It's it isn't broken ....

The SLX may be an upgrade on the 3's, so you can sell yourself like that. But honestly, if everything is sorted about the brakes on both your bikes, maybe something else needs upgrading? Or maybe just hold onto the money...you might need a tire at some point

I second this opinion. You have both sets of brakes working, why not save your money? Are the SLX brakes any lighter that the 3' or BB7?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

undercover brother
    Shimano... Set and forget. Always reliable.