Merendon Junkie

SLX Turkey Warble, HELP!

Hello everyone, I have installed shimano slx brakes on two of my bikes. Both bikes now have stellar braking except for one issue, I am suffering from the dreaded turkey warble on one of my bikes front brake. It shows up after a prolonged downhill stretch with heavy braking. I have no vibration or loss of power issues, just that hideous sound. I have read about many complaints with this issue but mostly with other brands like avid. Never have heard about the turkey warble with shimano brakes.
    The bike that runs completely silent is a 2012 rockhopper 26, has a 180mm slx 6 bolt rotor on a dt swiss 445 wheel and 180 mm tektro rotor on the alex rim stock wheel (i alternate 2 wheelsets on this one).
    The noisy one is a 2011 camber comp, its running a 180mm deore centerlock rotor on a xt wheel. I used to run this bike with the dt swiss 445 with the slx rotor and it was completely silent.

So far I have tried changing the pads, changing pad brand (jagwire), switching the rotors (back to front, both are 180 deores), realigning the caliper several times, putting tape behind the pad. nothing has worked, the warble comes back on the first prolonged downhill. I have arrived to the conclusion that either the 180 deore centerlock rotor or some type of resonance with the xt wheel are the culprit.
    Before I spend more money on this issue buying a new slx or xt rotor, do you guys have any other suggestion?

Merendon Junkie
    So I bought an slx rotor... the noice persists.

I chaged the recon solo air for a reba.... the noice persists

I also rebled the brakes using the shimano bleed kit and being extra meticulous. It seemed promising at first, but 3/4 of the way down, the sound came back. I noticed it wasnt as loud as before!!

Any other thing I should try, or should I just learn to live with it?
    Is there anybody else running an xt wheelset with slx brakes?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

SLX Turkey Warble, HELP!

The only difference left is 6 bolt vs center lock rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    So I bought an slx rotor... the noice persists.

I chaged the recon solo air for a reba.... the noice persists

I also rebled the brakes using the shimano bleed kit and being extra meticulous. It seemed promising at first, but 3/4 of the way down, the sound came back. I noticed it wasnt as loud as before!!

Any other thing I should try, or should I just learn to live with it?
    Is there anybody else running an xt wheelset with slx brakes?
    Which SLX rotors do you have, for both your CL and 6-bolt setups, RT-64, RT-67, etc... can link pics of exactly which rotors you have up front?

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_rider View Post
    Which SLX rotors do you have, for both your CL and 6-bolt setups, RT-64, RT-67, etc... can link pics of exactly which rotors you have up front?
    Thanks for the reply sir.

This is the slx rotor (rt67) I have on the centerlock hub:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the 6 bolt slx rotor (rt66) I have on the dt swiss wheel (stock wheel):
    Amazon.com: Shimano SM-RT66 SLX 6-Bolt Disc Brake Rotor (180-mm): Sports & Outdoors

And these are the deore ceterlock rotors, which are also noisy:
    Amazon.com: Shimano RT-64 Deore Disc Brake Rotor (180-mm CenterLock): Sports & Outdoors

They are all 180mm.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'd say the RT-67 should turkey less than the RT-64, and do XT hubs still have cup/cone which differs from your DT hub which I'm assuming has a sealed bearing? What about trying the RT-67 on your XT CL hub but check your cones or see if snugging them slightly changes the resonance. Also have you tried filing a slight (e.g. 3mm deep) 45 degree angle into the leading and trailing edges of your pads?

Merendon Junkie
    Yes car_rider, the xts use cup and cone, the dtswiss front wheel also uses cup and cone, the back uses sealed bearings. I will check the hubs and see if I can tighten them a bit more. I will also do the filing of the trailing edges.

Many thanks!