mtbr member
    Feb 2004

SLX lever flip-flop?

Thanks to all of you who replied to my "convince me to go hydro" thread regarding BB7's vs hydros. I'm going to give the SLX's a shot. I tried to order a set from Blue Sky last night and realized that they only have front available. Is it possible to flip-flop and use the same lever on both sides? okay, so maybe "possible" isn't the best word. would it be advisable?

the price difference is pretty big from blue sky vs others so would it maybe be a worthwhile project to buy a right side lever from e-bay, some hose, fluid and then patch it all together?

I just need some guidance form those of you who may have been through some of this.

fwiw, prior to going disc, i ran magura hs-33's for like 10 years so i'm, no stranger to dealing with bleeding/cutting/etc. but i don't want to get involved with a massive mess of a project if it can be avoided.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    check ebay. I bought the same brakes and got the front from blue sky but they were out of the rear. I ended up ordering on ebay and it was the same price I think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    ebay has the f/r set from hong kong for $200 or just rear for about $160. blue sky has front for $70. that's pretty big % difference in cost right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ahh, when I got them they were the same price. I didn't think to check.

you can get an XT rear for $119 from the seller I used: Shimano XT Black M785 Ice Tech Pre Bled Disc Brake 160mm Rear 51mm Is Adapter 6" | eBay

if you flip the lever, your master cylinder will be upside down, which is going to cause any air in the system to move into the hoses. Additionally, I think it will add a weird twist to the hoses. If I remember correctly, based on the install manual, there is some directionality to the levers and hoses.

You may be able to just get the lever and add it yourself. I'm not certain once you get the lever, hose, olives, etc. it will be much cheaper than just getting the XT brake I listed above though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    do you think i'd notice any weird/bad difference between the xt rear and slx front?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    can't say for sure, since the XT is a better brake. my guess is no, though. Most people claim that SLX, XT, and XTR are basically the same set up just a bit nicer as you move up the line.

Probably a bit more power on the XTs and mismatched levers on your bars, if that bothers you. Sorry I can't be more help, but I just have SLX (which are fantastic).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    XT 2012+ and slx 2012+ have the same braking power. to me the difference is that the XT have the additional reach adjustment and the blingy shiny master cylinder.

also you cannot flip the "left" side lever on the "right" side. they're not supposed to be run upside down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i called blue sky and i got an xt M785 ice tech for the rear to go with my SLX front.

so here's another question. are the calipers interchangeable front to back. like if i wanted to put the xt caliper up front and the slx in the back, would that be a problem?

the fact is, i actually prefer to run my levers moto style (left = rear). with that in mind, could i just switch hoses and run the xt "rear" brake as the front and the slx "front" brake in the back? my advantage would be twofold 1) i keep the same moto-style orientation that i like to run and 2) i put the more powerful brake in the front.

does that make sense?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    yes, you can swap hoses. FYI the blue sky brakes are OEM without a box. I don't remember if my set from there came with the extra olives for recabling or not.

i think if you're careful when you swap the hoses you might be able to do it without having to bleed the system.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    do a quick search in the forums or google for shortening shimano hoses without bleeding. they have a techdoc on it and it's pretty simple. Basically, I think it was to shorten from the master cylinder and then push the air out by pushing the pistons into the caliper housing. However, bleeding shimano brakes is pretty easy, so that's not a huge hassle (unless you don't have oil, syringes, etc. and need to buy them.)