mtbr member
    Dec 2007

SLX Ice tech Brakes

I ordered a set of Ice Tech Brakes for my wifes Superlight 29er, my question is how many people are running Ice tech rotors XT or SLX? I have read some people aren't and some people are. I also read something about a shim on some of the rotors as well? What side does this get installed on?
    2014 Kona Process 111
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2013 Kona Honzo
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi

mtbr member
    I think that if you were going to shim a rotor it would be behind it to push it further away from the hub and closer to the frame. Most modern disc set ups have a little adjustment in the caliper but sometimes there is not enough so shimming behind a rotor would do the trick as would shimming a caliper/adaptor away from the frame to push it closer to the rotor/hub.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You probably wont need to shim anything. You might be referring to a relatively new sort of anti rotation washer that shimano includes with their 6 bolt rotors. Its a little metal plate with teeth that go under two of the screws; the teeth lock in with a notched underside of the screw head.

As for the rotors, you can use any rotor. With any setup you might have to use washers under the caliper post mounts to make sure the brakes bear on the rotor in the right track and not into the spokes of the rotor. Ice tech rotors are high quality and do dissipate heat quite well but you don't really need to switch them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is that anti rotational washer really needed? I have never had an issue with rotor bolts coming lose before. I ended up ordering XT Ice Tech rotors I figured new brakes might as well get the new rotors.
    2014 Kona Process 111
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2013 Kona Honzo
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi

mtbr member
    No, they're not necessary. I think it's just a liability type of thing. It is a good idea to coat the threads of the mounting bolts in loctite blue.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    No, they're not necessary. I think it's just a liability type of thing. It is a good idea to coat the threads of the mounting bolts in loctite blue.
    Yeah thats what I was thinking thanks.
    2014 Kona Process 111
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2013 Kona Honzo
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was really happy with the ICE setup, until it wore out. The rotors cost 2x as much as anything else out there and they don't last long. I think you're way better off getting a set of ashima rotors.

mtbr member
    Whoa, you wore out a ROTOR? Did it warp or what?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It was just a season of use, which i guess is not unreasonable at all. I found out that these rotors have three layers: steel-aluminum-steel, and on mine the aluminum started coming through indicating that they were done.

They were great rotors, just not $60 rotors IMO. The Ashima's are $15/each on ebay. Pretty hard to justify spending 4x as much!

mtbr member
    That aluminium core is what makes them 'Ice-tech' - it dissipates the heat better than a solid steel rotor. If you're not in the habit of overheating brakes then yes, may as well go for the non-ice tech rotors, like the RT67/76

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Both my bikes run Ice-tech rotors, the Fuel EX has XT brakes matched to it and the Superfly SLX. They run a 6-bolt and Center-lock setup respectively, and wouldn't change it for the world. I've not used the Ice-tech pads with the cooling fins on it, both bikes run resin pads rather than sintered.

In wet conditions, the brakes can squeal a little if they get water on them, that'd be their only draw back.

Neither brake set needed a shim to set them align them to the brake calipers, the center-lock system was just plug and play. A little lock tight, BB wrench head to tighten it down and drop the wheel into the bike then set caliper with pump and hold then tighten method. I did need to manually adjust my rear caliper recently because I was getting a slight rub on it and the squeeze and tighten method wasn't working, just eyed it in. That's the first bit of maintenance the brakes have demanded since the new wheels were installed back in February, pads still have plenty of meat on them, lines haven't needed bleeding since bikes purchase back in October 2012.