mtbr member

SLX brakes M666 vs 675 - caliper and pads difference

I'm on the market for a set of brakes for my second bike. I've been a long time user of hydraulic brakes but only earlier this year tried a set of XT and I've surrendered myself to Shimano. So long DOT fluid, you're a pain in the ass.

I've been eying SLX brakes. But even after spending a couple of hours Googling I'm still a bit confused.

I'm thinking about getting the M666. They're cheaper. 675 is just ten 's behind XT and such a price is expensive for a secondary bike and the usage I'll give to it.

As far as I know both models have identical levers and the only difference if related to the caliper design. The M675 take Ice-Tech pads.

What is bugging me is that I've seen a lot of reviews, pages, tech documents whith contradicting information. Some state that the M666 model has no finned pads, others do state and show pictures of a supposed M666 caliper sporting finned pads.

Even the shop where I'll be buying them has two 675 models listed there, one with finned pads and new caliper design and another 675 with the older style caliper and no finned pads.

Can someone clear this out? Am I correct by saying that the M666 model has no finned pads because of the older caliper design and only the 2013, M675 has the Ice-Tech pads?

orthonormal
    My M666 brakes came with finned pads.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Yet, if you take a look with Google you'll find M666 brakes with normal pads. I thought that Shimano had some consistency with their model lineup.

I was thinking that the SLX brakes only got the Ice Tech pads for 2013 with the M675...

mtbr member
    I bought some 2012 666's a couple of months ago, they came with finned pads too.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    BR-M666 can use Type G pads (non finned) or Type F pads (finned)

Finned pads are more expensive then non finned pads.

If the brake is sold with non finned pad it should be cheaper then one sold finned pads.

The BR-S700, BR-M666, BR-M675, BR-M785, BR-M985 & the BR-M640 can used with finned or non finned pads.

Shimano Brake Pads PDF

Last edited by cobba; 09-30-2012 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the explanation! That clears it up. I thought to have read somewhere on the forum that the 2013 SLX brake was the first SLX to get the finned pads. I had the idea that the M666 hadn't the option/possibility and that they were release with the non finned pads.

Indeed the brakes I'm looking at don't have the finned pads and are cheaper probably cause of that!

mtbr member
    The M675 are the same brakes as the M666, just re-launched with the 2013 SLX lineup, and given a new number so people don't think they are buying 'old' 2012 gear LOL.

If you look at the Shimano parts diagrams you'll see the parts are identical between the M666 and M675. In fact, so are the XT pretty much - they just get a different lever blade, free-stroke adjustment, and a screw-in pad pin rather than a split pin - so treat anyone who tells you the XT is 'better' than the SLX with the disdain they deserve!

All take either finned or non-finned pads, resin or sintered. In fact the pads are common across the latest generation XTR, XT and SLX brakes.

Whether you get finned pads or not with your brakes simply depends on what the seller chooses to spec them with - some will use the non-finned to make'em a bit cheaper, thats all - its the same brake!

mtbr member
    I have taken a look at the Shimano TechDocs site and as far as I could notice, the only changes were some minor cosmetic ones to the calipers between the 2012/2013 SLX models, only noticeable on photographs.

Didn't know sellers could choose to spec brakes with different parts (pads). But that does make sense.

Guess the issue is clarified! Thanks all for your help!

mtbr member
    Didn't know sellers could choose to spec brakes with different parts (pads). But that does make sense.
    Not individual sellers, but large online retailers, and also the bike manufacturers have a lot of buying power and can ask for different specs/colours/sizes of components. Some of these so called 'OEM' components find there way onto ebay and other outlets, which is why its always advisable to check exactly what you're getting, and what the warranty is.

mtbr member
    From where I was going to get them its a reasonable physical sized shop with a big online department so that checks with what you've just said.

Unfortunately, I said going to get. At the time I made the thread last night they still had 2012 brakes available. Went there today and no SLX available. 2012 sold out and 2013 are yet to be delivered. Probably they won't have any more 2012's and as I've said 2013's price is just way too close to the XT's to justify their buy.

Buying brakes on other shops isn't out of the equation but since they're a part prone to some issues that could require warranty I've always liked to get them on a near place. Bummer!

mtbr member
    That's a shame. But maybe you should just buy them online wherever you can find them cheapest and in stock? They're a pretty standard part, and after the batch of badly crimped banjo fittings were cleared up, haven't been prone to particular warranty issues.

I'm located in Australia, and buy most of my components online from Germany - including a set of SLX and XT brakes recently. Their prices are hard to beat - M675 brakeset with non-finned pads currently US$147, and $174 with the finned pads. You have to factor in the shipping, any duty, and hassle factor of buying abroad of course....

Edit: Just noticed you were quoting prices in Euros earlier - so you're obviously onto the German online retailers already!

mtbr member
    I buy some stuff online but I've got a preference for buying brakes and suspensions on a physical shop, even if I buy them online I like to have the physical shop where I ordered them nearby.

Even thought european warranties should apply and work equally on all community what happens is that sometimes brands require that the components be sent in through through a retailer and often they (retailers) refuse to accept parts that weren't bought from them.

You can imagine the added costs that poses, especially on a heavy part like a suspension. Not to mention the risk of privately shipping a part like that when so often carriers have no care.

I've been considering some different ideas now.

I'll still scout for some M666 SLX's with a nice price. But if I fail to find some I'll have to decide whether I get a bleed kit and overhaul the Juicy's (only the rear needs bleeding and maybe new fittings and a reservoir seal. I just hate working with DOT oil, Those brakes are still working, it's a fact, the rear just needs some TLC. Or on the other hand I get a set of Deores M596 which are currently at sale with a very very nice price. My only objection to those is the possible and probable loss of performance. But after trying out the XT's, damn! Shimano are really no-worries brakes. Even if they need to be bled their oil won't kill anything it touches. Overhauling the Juicys will cost around a third of the Deores and parts, if needed from now on will get rarer...

I should have opened the thread earlier.

mtbr member
    I believe the difference between 12 and 13 was that the OEM12 brakes only came unfinned, whereas the OEM13 can come finned. So that manufacturers now have the choice of speccing their bikes with finned SLX brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    I believe the difference between 12 and 13 was that the OEM12 brakes only came unfinned, whereas the OEM13 can come finned. So that manufacturers now have the choice of speccing their bikes with finned SLX brakes.
    my OEM '12s are unfinned