mtbr member
    Oct 2012

SLX bite question

Hello,

in order to remove horrible noise and vibration from rear break I had to install little 1 mm mounts (dunno eng words xD ) on caliper.

Now it's all silent, but my SLX pads bites on rotor is aprox 1 mm higher than normal (higher than front brake for example).

My question is, how much will it affect stopping power if it will at all? And how much will it affect pads durability? I did a quick run over the block to test, and in few occasions I felt like it might be slightly weaker than before, but that could really be psychological thing aswell.

Thx!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxik View Post
    Hello,

in order to remove horrible noise and vibration from rear break I had to install little 1 mm mounts (dunno eng words xD ) on caliper.

Now it's all silent, but my SLX pads bites on rotor is aprox 1 mm higher than normal (higher than front brake for example).

My question is, how much will it affect stopping power if it will at all? And how much will it affect pads durability? I did a quick run over the block to test, and in few occasions I felt like it might be slightly weaker than before, but that could really be psychological thing aswell.

Thx!
    A picture would really help us understand what is happening (especially if you are unsure of the exact name of things) but I am assuming what you have done is place a spacer (washer) between the top of the brake adaptor and the caliper ears to space the caliper further away from the center line of the rotor?

If that is the case then that is a very unusual method to fix a vibration/noise problem - and it is potentially (probably) going to cause your brake pads to be partially grabbing above the brake track of the rotor (bad) cuasing uneven pad wear.

I would remove the extra spacers and do more traditional noise resolution methods (ensuring caliper alignment, chamfer leading edge of pads etc).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can't do pic atm... but everything looks normal except pads bite 1 mm higher than usuall... ;x

mtbr member
    So the braking track is 1mm higher?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah, actually it's 2-3 mm atm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxik View Post
    Yeah, actually it's 2-3 mm atm.
    It is potentially (probably) going to cause your brake pads to be partially grabbing above the brake track of the rotor (bad) cuasing uneven pad wear.

I would remove the extra spacers and do more traditional noise resolution methods (ensuring caliper alignment, chamfer leading edge of pads etc).

29er
    Apr 2010
    Is the adapter on upside down?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah I removed spacers because they didn't seem to make problem go away as I thought anyway.

Meh, it's a big let down, I would never expect Shimano SLX doing this on a Shimano RT66 rotor, and I simply ran out of ideas about this.

This brakes are like half month - month old, could it be that with more riding this stops? :|

Also I have IceTech pads and normal rotors... could this cause problem? (Eventho front brake with same setup is just fine).

PS: This happens only when I am braking slightly... which means when I brake strongly it's normal, and if I don't brake it's normal aswell...