Thread: Sizing Question

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Sizing Question

Bought a new bike a few months ago and purchased a basic model that I wanted to improve myself as time and money became available.

I'm adding disc brakes next. Have new hubs, just need to buy the brakes themselves. What I don't know is about the size. I am riding a 26 and was wondering what the 185mm, 160mm and 140mm differences were? Frame is already compatable for disc brakes no problem there!

I'd appreciate the help!

mtbr member
    Different rotor sizes, the larger the rotor has more stopping power than a smaller one or more correctly it takes less finger strength to get.... also the larger rotors dissipate heat better than the small ones.

Depends on how big you are, what type of trails you ride and long the the decents are.

Keep in mind its not all about size, a good brake with a 160mm rotor will stop you better than a cheap one with a 203mm also bikes and forks are rated to a certain size so double check the specs before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by olineman
    Bought a new bike a few months ago and purchased a basic model that I wanted to improve myself as time and money became available.

I'm adding disc brakes next. Have new hubs, just need to buy the brakes themselves. What I don't know is about the size. I am riding a 26 and was wondering what the 185mm, 160mm and 140mm differences were? Frame is already compatable for disc brakes no problem there!

I'd appreciate the help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Perfect, thanks for the help.