Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trackho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    213

    Sintered pads for 2012 XT M785s- where??

    Need to buy better pads--can't find the sintered with the fins anywhere Anybody
    have ideas??? I'm guessing you only need to buy the fins once--I hope

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    38
    Here. I know they say they are for XTR brakes, but if you look at the Shimano tech docs they both use the same pads.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trackho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by dlporter View Post
    Here. I know they say they are for XTR brakes, but if you look at the Shimano tech docs they both use the same pads.
    Thanks just ordered cheap shipping and no tax ---cool beans-thanks

    Does anyone know if you need to keep buying the heat sinks??? Or can you buy just the pads for less???

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    699
    the OEM XT brakes i bought did not come w/ finned pads, so I would say they are not necessary. The 30.00 sintered do not last twice as long as the 15.00 resin in my experience. Both work well, but i run through pads quickly in dry So. Cal.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trackho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    the OEM XT brakes i bought did not come w/ finned pads, so I would say they are not necessary. The 30.00 sintered do not last twice as long as the 15.00 resin in my experience. Both work well, but i run through pads quickly in dry So. Cal.
    Its something to pay attention to when buying the 2012 XTs, at Tree fort they give you sintered pads with the fins--which cost about $40 per end, compared to approx $20/end for the Resin/finless pads that you get at BlueSky.

    Personally, I cant stand the feel of Resin pads, so has to be metallic sintered pads. The fins are cool, just seems like you should only have to buy them once, but I was wondering if the pads were slightly thinner to accomodate the fin "back plates"
    Last edited by Trackho; 03-13-2012 at 09:31 AM.

  6. #6
    Raymond Donald Franklin
    Reputation: Katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    ...Personally, I cant stand the feel of Resin pads, so has to be metallic sintered pads...
    Would you mind updating later how the sintered pads feel, specifically modulation, once you have a chance to ride with them?

    I just got M785s for my bike with resin pads. I'm happy with the stopping power, but would like a little more modulation.

    I found out, after searching the forum, many say organic pads have better modulation but some say otherwise. And I've run metallic race pads on my car that offered better modulation than Autozone-special organic pads. I guess not all metallic pads are created equal, so I'd like to know how these particular Shimano pads feel.

    I'd appreciate your input.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trackho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Would you mind updating later how the sintered pads feel, specifically modulation, once you have a chance to ride with them?

    I just got M785s for my bike with resin pads. I'm happy with the stopping power, but would like a little more modulation.

    I found out, after searching the forum, many say organic pads have better modulation but some say otherwise. And I've run metallic race pads on my car that offered better modulation than Autozone-special organic pads. I guess not all metallic pads are created equal, so I'd like to know how these particular Shimano pads feel.

    I'd appreciate your input.
    Will do, I come from a motorcycle road racing background where Vesrah sintered pads rocked, all else pales in comparison, I'm guessing the sintered shimanos will be similar, the sintered avid pads were noticably better than
    resin.

    I weigh 225 and like to go fast, so I'll be a good test point

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    699
    I use the resin up front because I could not stop the howling at a certain point w/ the sin. Sintered in the rear, mostly because they wear longer. They both work well IMO. I definitely don't feel a drastic difference between the two.
    The fins are part of the backing , not separate, if that was your question.
    The shops charge 15 for resin/ 30 ti back Sin/ 40 Finned. 40.00 is a little steep for brakes. I'm going to try the Swiss Stop next.
    Shimano pads wear quickly, but Im 235.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7
    edit: misunderstood
    Last edited by snowgage; 03-13-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: misunterstood

  10. #10
    Raymond Donald Franklin
    Reputation: Katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    ...I come from a motorcycle road racing background...
    I see where your user name came from. I have utmost respect for you motorcycle road racers Getting rear end come around in my 130-hp car at Willow Springs T9 is scary enough for me LOL.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trackho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    I see where your user name came from. I have utmost respect for you motorcycle road racers Getting rear end come around in my 130-hp car at Willow Springs T9 is scary enough for me LOL.
    Heres the carasoul at Infineon--prolly going about 90mph, then at the bottom you get on the gas, hit about 130mph, then HARD on the brakes going into T7, usually the rear tire is off the ground (don't use rear brakes much in road racing), then a light trail to the apex. All good fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sintered pads for 2012  XT M785s- where??-carasoul-medium-.jpg  


  12. #12
    Raymond Donald Franklin
    Reputation: Katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,300
    Awesome picture!! I just can't imagine what it's like to lean the bike that much at the limit of adhesion

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trackho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    Thanks just ordered cheap shipping and no tax ---cool beans-thanks

    Does anyone know if you need to keep buying the heat sinks??? Or can you buy just the pads for less???
    Just got the sintered pads from universalcycles.com--they were super quick, no sales tax, $2.99 shipping and a chocolate too boot--Im very impressed--they were about $37 each shipped

    Like others had said the heatsink is part of the backing plate, unfortunately I wont be able to test them for a week--going skiing, but when I get back Ill give an update

  14. #14
    Suspension Specialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    I have spent my whole life in the motorcycle industry, and Vesrah has had the absolute best brakes you can buy for a over a decade.

    They have a full line of pads for the most common bicycle calipers, and my best friend is the US importer. He's setting me up to distribute their pads.

    They have several compounds, from oem replacement type, to XC to Downhill.

    I am running their XC compound (with trick aluminum backing plates) on my 2013 Stumpjumper, and they are awesome on the Avid Elixir brakes. The stock pads squealed and made enough racket to make you think you were going to crash. Plus they always felt like metal on metal... no grip, no feel, no feedback, until the locked up!

    The Vesrah's are just the opposite. And since they have a smooth linear force curve, you can actually get more outright stopping power before lockup. I am meeting with my friend next week to map out a plan to be able to make them available as soon as possible.

  15. #15
    Helmetless Crasher
    Reputation: Stumpjumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,070
    MB Action Mag has a good comparison review of the pads.
    Basically, they prefer the Resin pads because of their great feel/modulation.

    I've tried both compounds on my 785 XT's, and I agree with their assessment.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

  16. #16
    Suspension Specialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    MB Action Mag has a good comparison review of the pads.
    Basically, they prefer the Resin pads because of their great feel/modulation.

    I've tried both compounds on my 785 XT's, and I agree with their assessment.
    What year/month was that review, do you recall?

    Nice avatar.

  17. #17
    Helmetless Crasher
    Reputation: Stumpjumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,070
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    200
    I'm on the other side.. Ran the metallics liked them except for the squealing..so I put resin pads on and they just felt like mush/soft..plus I went through a set super fast(within a few rides)..now I'm back to metallics and like the feel way more..just put some ice tech rotors on in hopes of silence..time will tell..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •