mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Sintered brake pads?

Is Sintered the same as Semi-Metallic? I just bought some Aztec High Friction Sintered Organic pads. I want more power with less fade. Are Sintered pads okay with Juicy 5s?
    Last edited by mgsuarez; 06-12-2007 at 11:46 PM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sintered pads are metallic pads... they will be fine in your Juicy 5s.... a bit more grabby and noisy than the organic ones

Former Bike Wrench
    Sintered pads are usually full Metallic (they can be ceramic as well). Semi-Metallic's are a mixture of Organic pad compound with metallic flakes in the mix. They straddle the line between the durability and pure stopping power of Metallic pads with the modulation and quietness of organic pads.

banned
    "Sintered" is being used for compounds other than full metallic now.

Former Bike Wrench
    Yes, organic pads can be sintered as well

Sintering is a method for making objects from powder, by heating the material (below its melting point) until its particles adhere to each other. Sintering is traditionally used for manufacturing ceramic objects, and has also found uses in such fields as powder metallurgy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    anyone know if these Aztec pads are any better than the stock metallics from Avid?

Former Bike Wrench
    Aztec is considered "discount" parts by most...I used their pads once on Hayes and they didn't last nearly as long (probably because they were semi-metallic, not full metallic) as the stock pads. I doubt they're better...but they're probably cheaper.

PS-look at Galfer or EBC for "better" pads
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 06-13-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I must say, I bought these Aztecs for my Shimanos 4-pots about a year ago. At first I was a bit reluctant of their quality given the price. But I must say I haven't noted any big difference from the OE shimano sintered. At least in my experience they are great!