Thread: Singing Brakes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Singing Brakes!

I'm having some troubles with the Formula B4 brakes on our tandem. The front brake makes a singing/screaching/whining noise when NOT braking. So, just riding along, the front brake makes a constant noise which totally disappears as soon as I pull on the brake lever slightly, not even enough to start braking. Anyone has any idea what could possibly cause this to happen? It's so annoying and loud that the bike sits in the garage gathering dust. Impossible to ride and not go bonkers! It's a super high pitched tone that my sensitive ears just cannot deal with for any lenght of time.
    So to be clear, the brakes are silent when braking and make noise when just riding along.

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have you tried to realign your caliper? the singing is probably coming from a slight rub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i have a similar issue with my Formula Rx rear brakes. although it only does it sometimes, that noise (sounds like the tuning fork noise to me) gets irritating

i have realigned the calipers so it doesnt rub, but there isnt much space in there. is there a way to space out the pistons just a tiny bit?

ballbuster

Also....

Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack
    I'm having some troubles with the Formula B4 brakes on our tandem. The front brake makes a singing/screaching/whining noise when NOT braking. So, just riding along, the front brake makes a constant noise which totally disappears as soon as I pull on the brake lever slightly, not even enough to start braking. Anyone has any idea what could possibly cause this to happen? It's so annoying and loud that the bike sits in the garage gathering dust. Impossible to ride and not go bonkers! It's a super high pitched tone that my sensitive ears just cannot deal with for any lenght of time.
    So to be clear, the brakes are silent when braking and make noise when just riding along.

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks.
    Like others have said... check for caliper alignment, pad adjustment (if yours are adjustable) and sticky pistons. Also check to be sure your front wheel is seated all the way in the dropouts (with the bike on its wheels on the ground, open and close the QR... if the hub clunks into place, it was off), and the QR tension is set to where you usually keep it. QR tension can throw off the disc brake alignment a bit, causing rub.

Check for worn pads. I know when my Hope brake pads get down to the nubs, the anti-rattle spring starts to rub the rotor, making noise.... then it eats the spring, making very nasty forks-in-a-garbage disposal noises.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think i may have got rid of the high pitched noise from my rear brakes.

I reseated the QR, I raised the position of the caliper by adding a washer (i saw that my rotor wear was low hitting the rotor arms), and i realigned the calipers so that it doesnt rub.

so far so good, ill check again tomorrow if it sings again.