mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Simple Green on disk brake rotors?

So I was cleaning my drivetrain tonight as I've been doing for the past couple years - basically using a chain cleaner tool to clean the chain and then removing the rear wheel, spray some simple green on the cassette and then use a cleaning brush to clean off the cassette. I'm reasonably careful when spraying on the Simple Green to keep it close to the cassette, but inevitably some must get on the brake rotors. I've never really thought about it before (and its getting late so I don't want to start thinking much right now...), so I'll throw my question out to the forum: what effect will this have on my braking performance? I don't generally rinse my rotor after I clean the cassette, so I'd have to assume that some of the degreaser is getting to the brake pads....

ride hard take risks
    Since you have been doing this for a couple years with no prob dont start worrying. I spray degreaser stuff all over my bike & use wash N wax to clean & dont have any brake problems either.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would say a small amount on the rotor wouldn't do a lot of damage. If I knowingly sprayed my rotor or caliper/pads with anything I would try and remove it. To clean your rotors use rubbing alcohol and then sand your pads down on a flat surface using sand paper.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Odds are greasy Simple Green residue is getting on your disc and your pads. I'd recommend to clean the rotor with alcohol after the cassette is clean.