mtbr member

Silly Idea - Hard Brake Lines

I had a silly idea last night - maybe brilliant....but most likely completely idiotic.

Has anyone ever used hard tubing (automotive) brake lines on a bike. I'm thinking from the headset area, back to the seat tube and down the seatstay, with flexible hose only up to the handlebars and and a bit of flexible hose near the caliper (to facilitate removal and adjustment). Also, maybe hard line from the front caliper to the top of the sliders.

OK, so I have cheap Elixir 1 brakes with plastic line. The brake feel is nice and firm, so this would be a nearly pointless modification. I guess I'm just throwing the idea out here for discussion.

ouch....
    It would be interesting to see done?

Likely easier to put a set of braided hoses on & call it a day.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    I think that's a viable idea but probably too complicated to implement. One problem is weight with all the connectors necessary to make the transition from flex to hard lines. Also, not sure of the weight difference between the hard lines and the flex lines.

I know with automotive situations, the hard lines are there to prevent the spongy pedal feel associated with "ballooning" of having too much flex lines. Then again, with cars/trucks/automotive we're talking about a lot more line length and probably much higher flow and pressures.

Seems like it'd be a neat "show" thing though............

mtbr member
    Not sure if it's the pressures bike brakes deal with or the length of line, but I really never had a problem with the plastic lines on every brake I've tried. Thought just because I never had a problem, doesn't mean it couldn't be done better..

Maybe a frame builder could put hard lines inside the frame tubes, and simply have fittings to flex hoses as the interface. That could be really stealth: a hose from the lever to the downtube, banjo fitting there, another fitting on the stay, with only a couple inches to the caliper.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Not sure if it's the pressures bike brakes deal with or the length of line, but I really never had a problem with the plastic lines on every brake I've tried. Thought just because I never had a problem, doesn't mean it couldn't be done better..

Maybe a frame builder could put hard lines inside the frame tubes, and simply have fittings to flex hoses as the interface. That could be really stealth: a hose from the lever to the downtube, banjo fitting there, another fitting on the stay, with only a couple inches to the caliper.
    Already been done
    vertigo-cycles-internal-brake-line | North American Handmade Bike Show
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    and again more betterer

done by VertigoCycles, on Flickr
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com