mtbr member

Silencing my howling Elixers??

Got a set of Elixer CR's when I got my Ibis Mojo and after about 75miles its like musical brakes as I go downhill. Noisiest things I've ever seen(heard). I had some lower end shimanos on my hardtail and never experienced anything like this.

Any recomendations for silencing these things? Will cleaing or sanding the brake pads help?

On the other hand, it is forcing me to learn to stay off the brakes, so...
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come

AZ
    banned
    Yep , clean the rotors and sand the pads . Break them in without overheating them . Make sure the pads are aligned properly . Chamfering the pads can also help .

Meh.
    Make sure all hardware is torqued properly. Check spoke tension. Check hub/suspension for play. Make sure the caliper is centered properly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thin layer of Copa-slip (anti-sieze copper grease) on the back - repeat BACK - of the pads solved it for me

Team Blindspot

Had the same issue

I solved it by selling them an getting XT's.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E
    Got a set of Elixer CR's when I got my Ibis Mojo and after about 75miles its like musical brakes as I go downhill. Noisiest things I've ever seen(heard). I had some lower end shimanos on my hardtail and never experienced anything like this.

Any recomendations for silencing these things? Will cleaing or sanding the brake pads help?

On the other hand, it is forcing me to learn to stay off the brakes, so...

Mike,
    I'm suprised you can hear your brakes over the sound of my creaking suspension and brakes. I second the change to XT brakes motion!
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    OH avid brakes..............................what do you do.

there have been many things tried to quiet these puppies. What I see is the common factor is this CPS system they have. Yes, it does make set up easier, but at what price?

The fool proof way? replace them.

I have seen and not heard (key word there) a bike that had somehow replace the cps system with some kind of spacer things. I couldnt look close enough for any real details.

A different rotor could help.

Swiss Stop pads are quieter too. There are sometime hard to find.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whason
    Mike,
    I'm suprised you can hear your brakes over the sound of my creaking suspension and brakes. I second the change to XT brakes motion!
    Hmm..come to think of it, I never did hear it on any of our rides.

Yeah, I'm thinking of switching to XT's too but with only a handful of winter rides on the elixers it's hard to justify.

Cleaning and sanding helped considerably. I took her out yesterday and only noticed the howl at the very bottom of a long, steep descent, must happen when they get really hot. Bring your earplugs when we hit Coe, the 1800' drop down Lyman Wilson should have them screaming like a banshee
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come