mtbr member

side pull, linear pull, V-brakes, U brakes....

My son has a BMX bike. It's cheap, I won't lie but he likes it very much. It has side pull brakes and they leave something to be desired (like stopping ability for small hands). I want to change out the brakes to either linear pull or v-brakes (they look the same to me). Or I could go with some U-brakes.

Are U brakes OK? Do they offer the leverage his hands need? Dan's comp offers a v-brake or u-brake adapter plate. The v-brake adapter plate isn't available just yet.

Should I wait for the v-brake (or is it linear pull?) adapter plate? Are there other options?
    Arron
    2010 Felt - New Belgium Fat Tire Cruiser!!!
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    hmmm,, for an easier lever feel I would upgrade the lever and cables before the brakes. nice smooth housing and a quality lever will make it much easier on his hands, you said his bike was cheap so I am assuming it is dept store, they all use cheap housing so the brake cables rub on the inside, making it rather hard to pull the levers. The housing is universal. i would reccomend something from Jagwire or Avid. The lever however has to be a BMX lever to work with his brakes. I have heard good things about the Odyssey mono lever. If braking power leaves something to be desired after you have done everything above. I would replace his pads and clean the rim with rubbing alcohol. Also adjust his brakes so engagement is instant, as soon as he pulls on the lever he is slowing down, or as close as you can get. These changes will improve any mechanical braking systems feel and performance. just my $.02
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Yup, dept. store bike. It is his first bike, it is taking a beating When it is time, I'll find him a small frame mtb like his brother (Trek 3700). For now, he needs some seat time to balance and build leg muscles (dept. store bikes are good for this, all 50 pounds of them!).

Levers. I'll take a look at those. I think they were pretty flimsy. It would be a great bike if the brakes worked better for him.

Thanks for the input.
    Arron
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter

Weekend Warrior
    My sons first bike was a dept. store bike and it was heavy, clumsy and the brakes just didn't work - ever. I bought him a used Specialized Hotrock and the weight is almost half, the brakes work for the little fingers and i can't get him off of it at the end of the day. We are on the second set of tires now and he doesn't want to get another bike now, even though he's about ready for a 24" sized bike. The used Spec. bike was $60, + the LBS gave full warranty for 1 year from purchase, so all adjustments, truing, even the new chain , brake lever, cable housing and new grips were all free the first year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    My sons first bike was a dept. store bike and it was heavy, clumsy and the brakes just didn't work - ever. I bought him a used Specialized Hotrock and the weight is almost half, the brakes work for the little fingers and i can't get him off of it at the end of the day. We are on the second set of tires now and he doesn't want to get another bike now, even though he's about ready for a 24" sized bike. The used Spec. bike was $60, + the LBS gave full warranty for 1 year from purchase, so all adjustments, truing, even the new chain , brake lever, cable housing and new grips were all free the first year.
    When he is ready for a mountain bike, I will find a nice one, but for now he likes this bike, he is learning and building strength. I ordered some Tektro levers and some soft pads and a new brake cable. The wife has tektro levers on her bike and I like them a lot.

I'll post back on my results.
    Arron
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone
    1996 Trek 930 commuter