Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Sick of your Avid Juicy levers having vertical slop?

At the pivot? The pivot pin set screw that can sorta' be used to get rid of some of it not taking up the slack? Your blingin' new Dangerboy/Straitline levers still feeling sloppy vertically at the pivot? Dont' want to pay the dough to get the spendy Code or Ultimate brakes with bearings at the pivots? (pics lower down) Edit: for those of you who are going to tell me to just get new bushings/pivot pins...the slop I hate has been in three brand new out of the box sets of Juicys; new bushings aren't the fix. Tightening things up out of the box with the pivot set screw didnt' do a damn thing.

Here you go. What you need:

5mm allen
    2.5mm allen
    some grease of choice
    2-8 (or more as needed) disc caliper mount spacing shims
    (SRAM/Avid website has great docs on taking the bits apart/putting them back together if you need)

Undo the lever clamps, and move the levers to level. Pop them out, and undo the pivot set screw. Carefully pop out the pivot pin. Carefully pull out the lever blade, and pull it free from the lever body. (it pops right out; don't worry - nothing will leak)

You don't have to do that part, but it makes it nice and easy to pull everything and give it a good cleaning while you've got the guts out.

I pulled the little plastice bushings, cleaned, dabbed on a little grease, and reinstalled them. Not really needed, but what the hell, you know? Be careful; these things like to drop easily, and are fond of rolling under the fridge/stove/dishwasher... Ahem. Back to the task at hand.

Pop everything except the lever pivot pin back in place. Grease up a shime or three, and slide it in around the lever blade, between it and the pivot shim. I did two up top, two on the bottom; on each lever. Use whatever you need to get the levers to stop slopping up and down, but not so many that you cause any undue binding to the lever action.

Clean/grease up the pivot pin a bit. Pop it back in. Before tightening up the pivot set screw, I like to use something to lever the blade up/down to add a bit more tension. Tighten up the screw. Pull everything to make sure the lever moves freely and doesn't bind up. Put your levers back where ya want them.

Sweet! I spent $60 on new levers, and still had to shim them to get rid of the slop. That the "upgrade" levers were supposedly machined with tighter tolerences to help get rid of...

I've done this with two sets now, and it's working beautifully over over six months. Just pulled it all apart this morning to clean/check things out, and thought I'd do some pics for emptybeer. Slop at the lever blades annoys the hell out of me; something with my old BB7/Paul Love Lever setups was super easy to dial out fo the system, but not as easy out of the box with the Juicy levers. The only thing I'd do differently is to get some nice thin brass washers to use instead, or stainless.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scrublover; 03-12-2007 at 09:46 AM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Very cool!

Nice and easy!

mtbr member

Will it work

Can I do the same on my Juicy 7. I'll check it out tomorrow. .

Quote Originally Posted by Not So Fast
    Can I do the same on my Juicy 7. I'll check it out tomorrow. .
    it should. basically the same lever blade/body assembly. i can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Meh.
    J7 is the same. I approached it a little differently. One of my levers is one of the first gen J7 levers, the other is a 2005 that I received mid to late 2006 as a warranty. So the older lever was getting a bit of slop. I pulled it all apart like scrublover, but I didn't use metal washers. I pulled the bushings out of the lever. I took a little piece of tube, trimmed it to size, poked a hole in the center. Then stretched the tube over the bushing, and popped the bushing back into the lever, and then reassembled everything. Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    J7 is the same. I approached it a little differently. One of my levers is one of the first gen J7 levers, the other is a 2005 that I received mid to late 2006 as a warranty. So the older lever was getting a bit of slop. I pulled it all apart like scrublover, but I didn't use metal washers. I pulled the bushings out of the lever. I took a little piece of tube, trimmed it to size, poked a hole in the center. Then stretched the tube over the bushing, and popped the bushing back into the lever, and then reassembled everything. Beautiful.
    the problem with mine though wasn't older levers getting sloppy; these were all three sets, new out of the box. other than that, i've been very happy with them. i'll have to remember the tubing variant too. i would think something like this would work for most other brake brands as well.

whatever works!