Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

SiCCC Carbon Rotors User Review

Well everyone,

I got my rotors in the mail today. I was one of the first 10 backers for the Kickstarter project and I ordered the 1 piece rotors in 160mm front and rear.

Upon arrival today I would say I was very impressed with the quality out of the box. I have a lot of experience with carbon fiber parts and this "felt" different right away. I could tell it was harder and did have a ceramic 'ting' to it. For reference, I am riding an S-Works Epic 29er with Magura MT-8 brakes. I put them on tonight and took them out around the neighborhood. On the packaging they recommend that you do 10-15 "burn-ins" at a "jogging pace" to break in the rotors. I did that exactly then took them to the top of a 3-4% grade hill. Not very steep but enough to get some speed. I got up to about 25mph and slammed on them and.... was impressed! They stopped nearly exactly the same as my Storm SL rotors, maybe a hair better. I do think they need a little more breaking in and they will get even better.

If anyone has any questions, shoot them at me and I am happy to answer them or do some tests. Note: I have no affiliation with Kettle Cycles and just am an excited rider to try and new product.

b a n n e d
    We need pics man . . . pics.

And more details . . . price? weight? can you use any pad? benefits? mounting pattern?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I posted a picture... Can you not see it?

You can get all that info on their website.

mtbr member
    Kettle Cycles
    Siccc carbon rotors

mtbr member
    Look nice and light. I am interested in wet stopping power. I have read the reviews on the site but in F1 and MotoGP they all have to use Al (or some non carbon) rotors in "wet" races. Also the entry price to play is a bit steep for non weight weenies. nevertheless, once you get them "bedded" in if you could report on how well they work, also if you get a chance to get them hot and talk about fade. Thanks,

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    kettlecycles.com
    Southern Afghanistan

Supervisor

Fred and Barney know how to kill HOOHAs

mtbr member
    May 2008

Received mine also. Unfortunately I won't be able to ride them until next week.
    SiCCC Carbon Rotors User Review-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361534901.328901.jpg

mtbr member
    tech difficulties
    Last edited by IPA Rider; 02-22-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Lots of questions...all about performance, esp. under more extreme use (say 2-3K steep descents). But also how they handle wet conditions. Comparisons to your Storm SL's will be very helpful.

I'm also wondering about the potential that these things won't bend or warp (=no truing), which would be huge in my book.
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    tech difficulties
    No. New bike won't be together till next week. I'm pretty sure these rotors will be straight or broken. No way to bend these.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am going to try and get the bike out on the trails this weekend and test them out. It's nice and wet up here in Washington right now, so you should have some wet weather testing info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did you get a shipping notification at any point? Or did they just show up? I'm waiting on my 180/160 SFLs and I'm getting impatient!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sweet! Did you get a shipping notification or did they just show up? I'm waiting on my SFL 180/160s and I'm getting impatient!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Mine just showed up. No shipping notification.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Awesome I placed a order for a 180mm a week or two ago hopefully will get them in the next few weeks. They quoted me 5 weeks because of curing time
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    Well everyone,

I got my rotors in the mail today. I was one of the first 10 backers for the Kickstarter project and I ordered the 1 piece rotors in 160mm front and rear.

Upon arrival today I would say I was very impressed with the quality out of the box. I have a lot of experience with carbon fiber parts and this "felt" different right away. I could tell it was harder and did have a ceramic 'ting' to it. For reference, I am riding an S-Works Epic 29er with Magura MT-8 brakes. I put them on tonight and took them out around the neighborhood. On the packaging they recommend that you do 10-15 "burn-ins" at a "jogging pace" to break in the rotors. I did that exactly then took them to the top of a 3-4% grade hill. Not very steep but enough to get some speed. I got up to about 25mph and slammed on them and.... was impressed! They stopped nearly exactly the same as my Storm SL rotors, maybe a hair better. I do think they need a little more breaking in and they will get even better.

If anyone has any questions, shoot them at me and I am happy to answer them or do some tests. Note: I have no affiliation with Kettle Cycles and just am an excited rider to try and new product.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Per their website it's 74g for a 180mm. you can use any pad you want. 180mm is $150 160mm is $124

https://www.buykettlecycles.com/Sear...s.asp?Cat=1820

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post

And more details . . . price? weight? can you use any pad? benefits? mounting pattern?
    Any pad can be used that was one of their goals, prices start at $100 IIRC

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Got my rotors a couple days ago and got a ride in yesterday and today on them. 110 grams for both. Brakes are Hope Race X2, stainless lines. The first time out used sintered pads as these were the only new pads I had. Down a steep hill, hit the brakes hard 5 or 6 times and hit the trails. Took about an hour of riding to start getting some grab. Rode for 2 1/2 hours, by the end was getting pretty decent grab. The one thing that stood out is the lack of noise. No rubbing and when the brakes are applied the slightest sanding sound. Trails sounds easily drown it out. Brakes sound deathly quiet.
    Second ride, switched out the pads to the used organics that were on before. Brake power started about where it left off the ride before. Just kept getting better. By the end of the 3 hour ride, had forgot about discs and was just riding. The discs were performing as well as the Hope floating, with NO noise of any kind. Had some howling when first started with pads and a couple times in slow technical descent sections. Very happy so far

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post

I agree. and what is wrong that I can only see the first 3 comments in this thread? Someone needs to start an official Kettle cycles Siccc rotor thread. post lots of pictures and more deatiled info!

Also I know they say you can use organic or metalic pads, but I'm wondering which will work better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    I agree. and what is wrong that I can only see the first 3 comments in this thread? Someone needs to start an official Kettle cycles Siccc rotor thread. post lots of pictures and more deatiled info!

Also I know they say you can use organic or metalic pads, but I'm wondering which will work better.
    I have no idea. It's pissing me off though. I had to switch to hybrid view to be able to view the posts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    whats the pricepoint going to be?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    I posted a picture... Can you not see it?

You can get all that info on their website.
    There is something seriously wrong with this thread - it doesn't display properly in either Chrome or IE...

Fred

Bro Mountainbiker
    Nice! I would like some for the bling factor. My Ashima Ai2s weight 66g a piece, so not a lot of weight to shave.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Let us know how they work in the wet, dust, and snow if possible.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast