mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Should you change pads at same time as rotors?

I know when you change your car's rotors, it's highly recommended to replace your brake pads at the same time. Is it the same with hydraulic brake pads (Juicy 7s in my case)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If your pads are in good condition, I would just give them a light sanding and allow them to bed into the new rotor.

Depends a bit on why I'm changing rotors, but that's pretty rare on my bikes to change rotors at all. As long as the rotor wasn't wearing a funny shape into the pad I'd keep the pads...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I picked these Juicys up on craigslist and the owner bought brand new rotors for them. So the rotors are new but the pads don't appear to be in the best of shape.

banned
    I, as well as many others, swap brakes and rotors out from time to time, and all that's required is bedding in the pads again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cool, so just a light sanding as gmcttr mentioned should do the trick then? And what's the diff between the "organic" and regular metallic pads? I've read that the organics stop better but just curious what they're made up of as I'm guessing it's not composted celery stalks

My other ride is your mom
    not sure what they're made of....but I have experience with both pads...sometimes with metallic on back, organic on front/ sometimes with all orgainc. The organics are not as prone to the turkey warble so many folks experience....they are not imune...just that they can go longer without cleaning before the noise returns. They also have a softer "feel" and slightly better modulation IMO. However....they soften up faster on longer descents and also wear faster.

Also, not all brands are the same....I have a pair of Jagwire organics up front on my HiFi and Juicy metallics on the back with Juicy 7 calipers all around....this seems to work best for me on this bike. I found the Juicy organics to soften far faster than the Jagwire organics.....I have no idea why. I should also mention that I run a 185 rotor up front, 165 in back.

For the same trails on my Mach 5....I have shimano SLX brakes running standard metallics and they run just fine...no organics needed.

Bottom line: I experimented for about a year before finding what I felt to be right for my riding style, bike and common trail usage.....I never did anything to prep other pads on the old rotor other than a quick sanding, cleaning and a bed-in run around the neighborhood (holding the brake while pedaling).

mtbr member
    I would put all new 'stuff' and keep the old pads for when the new stuff is worn out, then use those.
    "It looks flexy"