mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Should the pads bear on the whole rotor?

I was just looking at my kids bike and noticed that the wear marks on the front rotor only cover about 1/2 of the wear zone on the rotor. See photos.

The rear brake and both breaks on the other disc cycle in the family all wear on the whole wear surface on the rotor.
    Is this safe?
    Is it fixable or would I have to put on a new rotor, pads, and get a different spacer for the caliper mount?

addicted to chunk
    Yes that looks to be the wrong adapter, pads should be closer in. I would replace rotor, pads, and find the right adapter.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yes that looks to be the wrong adapter, pads should be closer in. I would replace rotor, pads, and find the right adapter.
    this.

J-

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think I'll just take it back to Performance and let them deal with it.

official eMpTyBRain
    That discoloring on the rotor looks bad.

Wrong adaptor or interchanged brake brands (caliper vs. rotor)?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You don't need the adaptor - just bolt the caliper directly onto the post mount.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My son raced on it saturday and it failed. He went off the course a couple times and had to go really slow. Last place finish. Didn't hurt himself fortunately. When I checked it after the race it would would grab a little bit, but if you pulled the lever a couple times quick it would click past that spot where it had grab, the lever would go all the way to the grip, and the front tire would spin as freely as if there were no brake at all.

I took it into performance they're not half as excited as I am. They said they'd fix it no charged (duh!) . But at this point my trust-o-meter with them is lifeless. I plan on going through the repair myself and making sure that the guy that repairs it is a whole bunch more competent that the guy that built it. If its not 110% my next call will be to the corporate office.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Find a better LBS! Performance is notorious for (not good stuff).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Got it back. Apparently the model was spec'd for a 180 rotor. Turns out the quiet, unconcerned mechanic that hides in the back of the shop is the manager (peter principal I'm guessing). He put on the 180 rotor and replaced the pads which had a step in them about a 0.5mm tall. I asked him if he had mentioned this to corporate since it seems like they would want to know if their manufacturer was making this kind of screw up with this kind of disaster potential. He gave me the head bobble. I was walking out with the bike, in the process of deciding I was never coming back, when one of the employees came over and talked to me. He's a cool knowledgable guy that I've deal with before. He said how sorry they were and they couldn't believe that it had been missed at least several times in the manufacture, assembly and test drive process. He'd mentioned that he had talked about this with the other employees and that they were really sorry. This is the guy that should be the manager and is the only reason I'll ever shop there again.

b a n n e d
    Glad you got it sorted out. There are several performance bike shops around me and I have never set foot in one, and wouldn't send anyone there either because of instances like this (note that this is not the first time I have heard negative feedback about PB).

Fat-tired Roadie
    Last time I was in Performance, their brilliant customer service gave me time to phone around and find out that my LBS price for something was competitively low. I felt dirty for setting foot in the store, and bought the pump at the place down the street.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx