Bike to the Bone...

Should I see some space between the caliper and the disc?

I have some Hayes HFX 9 disc brakes. My brakes are making some noise after a while. I think that the pads are rubbing the disc.

Since I'm not mechanical oriented, I'm taking it to the LBS. I just want to know if I should be able to see some free space between the pads and the disc when I look at the disc.

Thanks

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Mine are touching

I've been trying a million things to get my Juicy's to have adequate gap between the rotor and pads, but sort of given up for now. I get just a little rubbing, mostly not evident until I finish a long down hill, they rub for a bit then the pads retract. When I spin the wheels, the rubbing doesn't seem to slow them down so I just let 'em be.

I think if I might have overbled the brakes the last time, essentially over pressurizing the system with too much hydro fluid. The next time I feel up to it, I'll try taking some fluid out of the line and see if that promotes more pad/califper gap.

I've had other friends with Shimano XT hydraulic brakes, & Hayes. Most live with a little rub here and there, as long as it doesn't drag the wheel so much that it slows you down - or - squeels or scrapes a lot.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Some rubbing is normal....

For example, when the hydraulic fluid heats up when braking for a long time (long downhill sections) which expands the fluid and pushes the calipers in just a tad... After it cools down it typically resets. Also, most hydro discs are self adjusting which means that if you happened to pump the levers just a little bit with the rotor off, the pads will set closer to the rotor and probably touch. Normally, this is an easy fix (1. Take wheel off. 2. Take pads off. 3. Insert spacer (should've been supplied by brake mfr or you can get from the shop for the brakes you have). 4. Squeeze the lever hard a few times to reset the calipers (the self adjusting feature). 5. Put pads back on and put wheel back on. 6. Squeeze lever a few times hard to reset again.).
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969

Thanks
    Yes, you should.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm take it from me

if your brakes are mechanical, YES, you should see a very thin gap between rotors and calipers.but for hydro brakes, like those used on most vehicles, the calipers are just touching the rotors but not too much to stop rotors from spinning.rubbing, squealing,noise are normal for disc brakes as long as they dont actually hamper free rotation of the rotors.

Bike to the Bone...

Thanks for the information!

Hi, thanks for the post. I will see how my next ride goes. I think I do need to see the back brake fixed because it does slow the tire if I spin it.

Thanks

Chrome Toaster
    There should be clearance but its very little. About .2 mm or less. Thats a decimal point before the 2, as in a fifth of a mm, not 2mm, its VERY little. If they are dragging hard try resetting the pistons by pushing them back gently (don't press on the pads!). If that doesn't work they need to be adjusted correctly.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ARITAO_CHAMELEON
    if your brakes are mechanical, YES, you should see a very thin gap between rotors and calipers.but for hydro brakes, like those used on most vehicles, the calipers are just touching the rotors but not too much to stop rotors from spinning.rubbing, squealing,noise are normal for disc brakes as long as they dont actually hamper free rotation of the rotors.
    Thats not correct. Hydro brakes should not be touching the rotor either.