Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    136

    Should I replace my 07 Avid Juicy 7s

    I can't get my rear brake to stop chattering and squealing. After reading the reviews for this brake, it appears I am not alone.

    I am 220lbs. I have been experiencing brake fade and was advised to upgrade to 8" rotors.
    I know I could use the larger rotors but not convinced this would stop the chattering/squealing. I read that some folks have tried everything but to no avail. The rotors and adapters would total about $122. However, I found some 09 BB7s for about $120 which includes levers. Makes more sense for me to switch but though I would see what you think. I love the way the juicy's feel but people hear me coming a mile away (which might not be a bad thing )

    Should I make the switch or has anyone been successful in correcting their brake noise?

  2. #2
    I like Monkeys
    Reputation: VaughnA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    889
    I don't think that switching from one Avid to another, especially the BB7's would be worth the effort. IMHO the best thing to do is get some formulas, hopes or shimanos. I tried stuff for two years before getting my formulas. I ride in silent smoothness now.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    214
    I had the same issue with squeeling and vibrations on an '07 hifi pro. I thought the calipers were centered when there was no zingging while riding. However, when squeezing the lever the rotor would move to the side...this is what causes the turkeys and vibrations. After learning from my lbs how to properly set up the calipers so the disk doesn't move when the levers are applied, and taking the time to do it properly myself, the turkeys and vibrations were gone, stopping power improved, and I am very happy with the J7's. After one long ride, the turkey's and vibrations started to come back, all I needed to do was to make sure the wheel was properly in the dropouts and they were back to perfect.

    I recommend trying once again to set up the brakes and take the time to make sure it is done right.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    160
    In the German IBC-bike forum there are many people with Formula brakes and chattering/squealing problems. So this is not specific to the Avid Juicy. Often another disc rotor or other pads are the solution.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,179
    BB7s aren't going to feel like Juicys but they'll work...You still should get larger than 6" rotors though for your weight.

    I replaced my cleansweep G2 rotor, that was annoyingly squeaky and occasionaly had garble, with an old (circa 2002) hayes rotor and its been near silent since. I'm extremely pleased with the power, modulation, and (since rotor replacement) quietness I get with the J7s.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,621
    A Galfer rotor and pads silenced my Juicy 7. (sorry to everyone for posting this over and over, but people keep asking.)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    136
    I just returned from a ride and again the rear started out rough. Towards the middle of the ride, the chatter disappeared and towards the end, it returned.

    I will take your advice and try to set them up better but the only advice I have received so far, from shops, is to loosen the caliper bolts, squeeze the brake lever, then tighten the bolts. I can visualize what you are saying but sounds like I would have to move the caliper in or out while keeping it parallel to the pads then testing it for center?? Guessing a piece of paper or something thin to use as a shim on one side. If you can elaborate, I will stop speculating .

  8. #8
    One Gear
    Reputation: .40AET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by aroundoz
    I just returned from a ride and again the rear started out rough. Towards the middle of the ride, the chatter disappeared and towards the end, it returned.

    I will take your advice and try to set them up better but the only advice I have received so far, from shops, is to loosen the caliper bolts, squeeze the brake lever, then tighten the bolts. I can visualize what you are saying but sounds like I would have to move the caliper in or out while keeping it parallel to the pads then testing it for center?? Guessing a piece of paper or something thin to use as a shim on one side. If you can elaborate, I will stop speculating .
    One thing that is important to do. While you're squeezing the lever, "gently" tighten the bolts one at a time alternating back and forth between the two. Cranking down on the mounting bolts too quick will make the caliper move a little setting it off center again. 3 hands helps too. Have someone squeeze the lever and hold it. Hold the caliper in place yourself and tighten the bolts. Eyeball the caliper up after you're done. A little light grease on the CPC stack helps too. It helps keep them going together smoothly.

    Good luck

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Quote Originally Posted by trelgne
    In the German IBC-bike forum there are many people with Formula brakes and chattering/squealing problems. So this is not specific to the Avid Juicy. Often another disc rotor or other pads are the solution.
    I ride with a person that has an extremely loud Puro. You would think from mtbr that Formula reinvented the wheel and 100% are perfect. Don't forget the defective pistons that are being replaced fairly quietly. Good brakes, though overhyped.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vdubz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by aroundoz
    I can't get my rear brake to stop chattering and squealing. After reading the reviews for this brake, it appears I am not alone.

    I am 220lbs. I have been experiencing brake fade and was advised to upgrade to 8" rotors.
    I know I could use the larger rotors but not convinced this would stop the chattering/squealing. I read that some folks have tried everything but to no avail. The rotors and adapters would total about $122. However, I found some 09 BB7s for about $120 which includes levers. Makes more sense for me to switch but though I would see what you think. I love the way the juicy's feel but people hear me coming a mile away (which might not be a bad thing )

    Should I make the switch or has anyone been successful in correcting their brake noise?
    I had 7's on an older bike, 5's and ultimates on my cuerrent bikes. As long as they are centered and more importantly clean they work silently. Occasionally i will take the wheels off and sand the rotors with 220 grit i think and remove the pads and sand them on a block just to ruff the surface up. get a can of auto brake cleaner and spray the pads and rotors. so far on my enduro ive only cleaned the brakes once with just cleaner and never sanded and they have been silent since day one. my 5's got loud once and i didi that and they have been quiet ever since. both have 203/185's and i weigh 200lbs. 1 bike has organic pads too. give it a try before you spend the money

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    136
    Hey thanks. I am going to keep them and have some 8" g2 rotors on the way which also might help. There are enough of you out there who are happy with them so I must be doing something wrong (and so are the shops I have brought the bike to).

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vdubz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    200
    No problem at all. I am very happy with them. I've never had the opportunity to use a differet brand so I can't say anything to sway you. I was pissed when mine started doing that the first time until I figured out how to fix the problem. Just try giving them a spray and a little sand paper on the rotor first. That can be done with the wheel on. It will probably go away

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    214
    I fixed my 2007 J7 vibration and noise issue by properly centering the caliper. I did this by loosening the caliper bolts completely, then putting a strong rubber band on the lever and bar. I then tightened each bolt a quarter turn at a time (altering bolts). Solved the problem. After a few rides the noise started to come back. To solve that, I opened the quick release on the rear wheel, pulled the wheel back into the dropouts and tightened the quick release. Problem solved again.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    136
    I will try this also. Had to think about it but it makes sense since this would be truing the rotor since the rotor doesn't have much lateral rigidity. Or correct me if I way off.
    Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •