mtbr member

Which should I keep?

Bought a new bike today (Iron Horse Hollowpoint Expert...so happy) and I am swapping out a bunch of the parts from my old bike. The new bike came with Hayes HFS-9 Hydro brakes. My old bike had Avid Mechs. I am trying to figure out which I want to keep. I know the Hayes are going to give better modulation but the maintenance scares me. The Avids are so easy to adjust that I am wary about giving them up. Will the increase in braking ability be worth the repair/upkeep?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I like my Avid mechs as I just haven't wanted

to deal with hydraulics. I still use some older stuff too, I'm slow to change. From what I've seen and heard the Hayes are pretty much bulletproof once you set 'em up right. I just like the use of my older equipment and parts and carrying a spare cable in my pack is a lot easier than dealing with a hydraulic breakdown somewheres. I'd keep both personally, as I like keeping stuff around til it doesn't work anymore, but, if you gotta part with stuff, I'd vote for keeping the newer stuff and getting rid of the older.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    after sleeping on it, I've pretty much decided to keep the Hayes. I would have gotten a lot more in resale on the Hayes but the Avid Mechs will still get me a couple bucks. I would keep them as back-ups but I promised my wife I would sell all the spare parts. (Like the mavic crossland UST wheelset, xt shifter pods, truvative stylo cranks, M540 pedals.)

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    after sleeping on it, I've pretty much decided to keep the Hayes. I would have gotten a lot more in resale on the Hayes but the Avid Mechs will still get me a couple bucks. I would keep them as back-ups but I promised my wife I would sell all the spare parts. (Like the mavic crossland UST wheelset, xt shifter pods, truvative stylo cranks, M540 pedals.)
    Good Choice!!! Keep the Avis as spares. Adaptors and rotors are interchangeable spares and you just can't find a better replacement in case your Hayez crash'n'burn
    Check my Site