I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

Should I go for a new bike or get nice disk brakes and rock this thing?

Hello,

I am 5 feet and weigh 90 pounds and this 05 hotrock is not gonna be able to do the stuff I want to do with it. It has 2 inches of suspension travel about and was mostely built for XC. I plan on doing All Mountain style riding. I want to be doing some downhill trails and jumps and drop offs. basicaly what you do in all mountain. For Christmas, I can get up to 400 dollars paid and here are my two options:

1) Get an 08 Mongoose Otero Super with Xsmall frame size and use its hydrolic disk brakes (It costs 600 at my store and I have 200 dollars) Or I could sell something else for 100 and my current bike (05 Hotrock) do you think I could get 100 out of it? and maybe get my parents to put the money into savings but then I would not get anything else and I can't spend much at Christmas so here is my only chance to get a nicer bike until next year. It probably might be slightely small at first but I will grow into it.

2) Get like the best hydroulic disk brakes out there and put them on my Hotrock until I get a rim brake bike (How is the FSRxc for any air under 5 feet?) If I could find a bike like that and it could handle somewhat of a beating for 800 dollars I probably would buy it.

Thanks, and links to any other bikes I could find for under 800 dollars would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    save and get a proper bike. you dont want to be doing anything crazy on that little hotrock.

the Otero is more XC...but your pretty feather weight so i dont imagine you could beat that frame up too bad so youll be fine.

Nov 2008
    Can you link me to more of an all mountain bike full suspension under 800 dollars? I know it is rare to find one that cheap but if you do please post it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    you're gonna have to look for used bikes thats for sure. there arent many (if any..) sub $1000 new full suspension bikes out there (that id trust my life riding down a hill with atleast).

at 5ft tall, id be looking for a 24" wheel frame. only 24" FS bike off the top of my head i can think of is Kona Stinky 2-4. Stinky is a freeride bike, but the 24" frame is their kid version. 4" travel front and back. not a bad solution.
    Last edited by brillantesdv; 12-04-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Nov 2008
    I am not going to get a used bike because of worn out components and I need something that may be slightely (only slightely) large at first so I can grow into it and out of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    well i'm not gonna go on and argue the used bike topic. its been done before.

as far as finding a full suspension AM capable bike new and under $800...i say good luck. good fork and rear shock can cost almost as much as that.

the Mongoose is an ok solution. and like i said before, a 90lb kid isnt gonna put much abuse on it, even if you are doing "jumps". but just remember, in the biking industry you get what you pay for...usually.

Dirt Deviant
    Just save up a little more and get a 2007 or 2008 Teocali on closeout. Just a little more than the Otero. WAY better bike IMO.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mbtr member
    dirt jumper should be the ticket, you could add a little longer fork with good damping down the road to make it a bit more trail friendly. Full suspension doesn't make any sense for you, you'll be better off if you can stop thinking about how neato it must be to have it.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.