mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Should I change my xt755 brakes for 775s?

I would like lighter brakes. I have 755 calipers(4pot) and 07 xtr levers at the moment. Also will the 775s be more powerfull?

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Absolutely not.

No way.

The 755's are some of the best brakes of all time.
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Maybe I shoud get 775 levers, they say it gives you 20% more power.

Meh.
    755s are awesome. If you get the 775 it uses Servowave. It should pair up fine... but I don't know... they are designed for the new style calipers which do have a larger pad gap. Shimano has suggested that the seals may not hold up well to the additional pressure.

I have never felt the need for more power with the 755s paired to 203mm rotors and good pads.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I don’t think you get the extra 20% power unless you use the new levers and callipers. I would wait until you’re brakes actually go wrong and then replace them cos the 755’s are very good brakes.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Keep them and get some Straitline levers. Those levers make a BIIIIIG difference. They feel more solid and are a little longer, so they give better leverage and a bit more power. They make Shimano brakes the ultimate brakes.
    They only come for the XT levers though (2003-2007).
    And keep the 755 calipers.

I am actually selling my almost new Gustav M brakes and just got a new 755 set!!!!
    I had Saints with Straitline levers before and loved them, the 755 are even better!

Greetings Znarf

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by NZSpokes
    Maybe I shoud get 775 levers, they say it gives you 20% more power.
    That's what I would do... (and will do to my 760s, just haven't sat down to actually change the levers )

mtbr member
    Hm,
    that might be interesting. 755s with Servo Levers.
    I wonder how that works, the 755s have a very tight tolerance. The fact that the pad spacing is larger on the 775s is mostly influenced through the caliper. (At least that´s how I exlplain it for myself. Different quad seal, which allows for more movement? So less automatic pad adjustment -> plus the Servo wave levers, which move more through the increasing leverage ratio)

So i guess the 755+775combination should engage sooner, but does it get to the point of the lever, where the leverage ratio is increased?

I am really curious about real life experiences =)

Greetings Znarf

PS: Crisillo, will you be around Neustadt / Maikammer for some biking this spring?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf

PS: Crisillo, will you be around Neustadt / Maikammer for some biking this spring?
    yep..I'll be here in Saarbrücken...so it's a 2 hour train ride for me...just let me know when.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have an original set of these and they've held up pretty well.

One thing people might be able to answer for me is how to take the slop out of my levers. They rattle quite a bit now. They are the original with the 90 degree fitting. Is it time for new levers or is it possible to repair. I tried to take the pin out but after removing the inital screw I had trouble try to tap out the pin and didn't want to damage anything. Advice is appreciated!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf
    Keep them and get some Straitline levers.
    They only come for the XT levers though (2003-2007).
    Greetings Znarf
    They work with older levers too- these are 2001's I think? I don't remember they are so old!

Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    One thing people might be able to answer for me is how to take the slop out of my levers. I tried to take the pin out but after removing the inital screw I had trouble try to tap out the pin and didn't want to damage anything. Advice is appreciated!
    Mine were sloppy, and the slop mostly disapeared when I installed the straitlines. I think it's just the installation proess though- removing the pin, re-installing and tightening the grub screw probably fixes some of it. I'm not sure. I used a punch and mallet to get the pin out, just make sure you totally remove the grub screw first. Then use lock-tite when you re-install it! I just took these pictures and checked mine, they aren't slop free but they are a LOT better than they were before the striatlines. Should be noted, it took me a few weeks to get comfortable with the straitlines, they do change the feel of the brakes a bit. Very nice product.

So these brakes are 6+ years old now? One area where I did notice wear was the crap phillips head screws that hold the resevoir cover on. Those were replaced with stainless allen button heads, a whopping .75c each at the local hardware store. Also, after being swapped from bike to bike, eventually the hoses were too short, so I picked up Hope hoses. The nice thing about the hopes is you can get them with every possible fitting included, this allows you to ditch the 90d banjo, and mix newer shimano levers with older calipers (they changed their fittings at some point).

I don't see much point in swapping to servo-wave levers, these are already some of the most powerful brakes ever made, the most pad area and best modulation. As long we you can get the adaptors you need, absolutely no point in "downgrading" as far as I'm concerned. They aren't even as heavy as you might think, when you do the math these are very close in weight to everything else.

Kinda like King hubs, I just can't see replacing these unless they are stolen...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yeah you´re right,
    I wasn´t sure about the 755 levers, so I didn´t want to say something wrong.
    I have 755calipers with 756 levers, they look beatiful and feel great.
    Straitline levers are really a good thing.

Greetings Znarf