Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Shortening Shimano XT hoses

Got a set of 2012 Shimano XT brakes and I need to shorten the hoses. I heard its simple and found this on line.
    http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...20Trimming.pdf

Is it really that easy and will it work for the new version of brakes? Anything I should know before I give it a go?

Thanks in advance!

empty beer member
    Good find and yes my m985s were that easy.

mtbr member
    Cool, did these instructions look like what you did and you didn't have to do a re-bleed afterwards?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This process worked on my '12 XTR's.

Just don't forget to open the reservoir so excess air and oil can escape.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

empty beer member
    Pretty much, except I didn't have a vise, which would've made things a little easier. No, I didn't have to bleed after.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    if you don't have a vise you can you vise grips. just sandwich the line with the yellow blocks.

I would also suggest using a razor to cut the line instead of those cutters pictured.

empty beer member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin View Post
    if you don't have a vise you can you vise grips. just sandwich the line with the yellow blocks.

I would also suggest using a razor to cut the line instead of those cutters pictured.
    Ditto on both.

mtbr member
    How worried do I need to be about losing fluid when I cut the hose? Guessing just make sure the hose is pointed upward, what about the reservoir?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Position your levers so that they are 90 degrees. Just try to keep the hose upright once your remove it. I used a step latter to cut the hoses on so that it's elevated. You'll probably end up holding it through out the entire process anyway. After cutting mine I had excess fluid spilling out of the reservoir.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin View Post

That's how i did it.

I used a straight pick to set the insert instead of a hammer.

Also, make sure to keep some pressure on the hose (forcing into lever housing) while tightening down the connecting bolt.

I didn't open the reservoir either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willawry'd View Post
    That's how i did it.

I used a straight pick to set the insert instead of a hammer.

Also, make sure to keep some pressure on the hose (forcing into lever housing) while tightening down the connecting bolt.

I didn't open the reservoir either.
    You didn't open the reservoir and it was fine or you should have opened it?

empty beer member
    I didn't open my reservoir either and had no problems.

Edit...

Opening the reservoir maybe what allows the oil to drain out of the lever. With the reservoir closed it should hold a vacuum to prevent draining the oil.
    Last edited by WrecklessREX; 02-28-2012 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    You didn't open the reservoir and it was fine or you should have opened it?
    I didn't open it and have had no issues. The only spillage was from the piece of hose I removed.

mtbr member
    Just got it done. Super easy to do but I did have to crack the reservoir once I had them reassembled to allow a little extra air/oil out of the system. It felt really hard with no lever throw at all until I cracked the reservoir and after that, it felt great. I now need to bed in the rotors and they should be good to go. Thanks for all the advice and tips!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was going to say, I bought mine on Friday, followed those instructions to a 't', and everything felt great after a 8 mile mild ride

congrats!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I just got my XT brakes and I need to shorten the hoses. This seems easy enough, but I just don't get how air doesn't get in the system.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm View Post
    I just got my XT brakes and I need to shorten the hoses. This seems easy enough, but I just don't get how air doesn't get in the system.
    It does. There is extra fluid in the reservoir. When you expand the pistons they consume some fluid. after system is seal back up, you compress the pistons back where they were, that fluid bleeds all the air out through the reservoir.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm View Post
    Don't over think it. I almost did and almost took it to the shop to have it done. Easy to do if you follow those instructions. I figured if I screwed it up, I could always take it to the shop. Ended up taking less than an hour.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Last edited by Flboy; 03-02-2012 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So the air can bleed out through the reservoir? Is there a one way valve or something to allow the air out , but not back into the reservoir? Does this have to be done before the brake are used, or can I do it in a few days? You guys preferred a razor blade apposed to the park cable cutters.

Jmallory, I am over thinking this. Just don't want to jack up my new brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm a bike mechanic noob and followed those instructions and it was fine. After I was all done, I had to squeeze the levers a dozen times or so and the brakes worked fine. After a couple miles riding, everything was bedded in and working great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My only issue with hose shortening came about by pumping the levers too much, and allowing the pistons to come out too far. By this I mean maybe 4-5mm.

The actual trimming and refitting the hose was easy. But I ended up not being able to push back the pistons!! They simply would not go in far enough. I had to open the bleed port on the lever and then push the pistons back home.

In the end I bled them just to be sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Worked pretty good overall. I also had to fight to get the pistons back in, but I eventually did get them pushed back in the caliper. After I bed in the brakes I went for a ride today. The rear brake feels just right, but front feels as if there is too much oil in the reservoir. Can I take a few drops out through the top cap? I did have to open the top cap to let out some air bubbles when I finished. I have a long thin plastic tube with a pipet on the end that I think would fit. It is used to pull serum off blood samples at work.

mtbr member
    Great info here. Thanks to all of the submitters as I'm going to have to do this with the new SLX version I just installed on my bike.

It would be good to hear more feedback on how far you push the pistons out. How much exposed piston do you end up seeing?
    Last edited by Steamer19; 03-16-2012 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19 View Post
    Great info here. Thanks to all of the submitters as I'm going to have to do this with the new SLX version I just installed on my bike.

It would be good to hear more feedback on how far you push the pistons out. How much exposed piston do you end up seeing?
    Not too far...I used the picture in the instructions as a guide...I'd say between 1/8-1/4 inch.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast