Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I shortened my shimano XTR hoses.

The front lever has a short throw and feel firm.

The rear lever was much much softer and had a longer throw. I pumped it a couple times and now the throw is shorter and feels more firm, but it is not quite the same as the front lever, close, but no the same.

Did I do something wrong? Should I bleed the rear brake?

mtbr member
    Bit of a bump here, but does anyone have a copy of the original document handy? Shimano's site throws a 404 when I try to hit the PDF link.

Edit: Disregard, nabbed it from archive.org and attached it here in case anyone else needs it.

Edit #2: Did this without touching the calipers, and didn't have to bleed. The whole process took about 10 minutes for both cables. Just measure about 12 times before you cut, and make sure you leave enough room for the bars to turn lock to lock cleanly.

Didn't have to bleed or crack the reservoir - just a few pumps with the lever and they're perfect. Thanks for all the tips in this thread!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Seventh-777; 01-24-2014 at 08:25 AM.
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member

Shortening Shimano XT hoses

Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    Bit of a bump here, but does anyone have a copy of the original document handy? Shimano's site throws a 404 when I try to hit the PDF link.

Edit: Disregard, nabbed it from archive.org and attached it here in case anyone else needs it.

Edit #2: Did this without touching the calipers, and didn't have to bleed. The whole process took about 10 minutes for both cables. Just measure about 12 times before you cut, and make sure you leave enough room for the bars to turn lock to lock cleanly.

Didn't have to bleed or crack the reservoir - just a few pumps with the lever and they're perfect. Thanks for all the tips in this thread!
    Thanks for posting that document! Installed a set of SLX on my wife's bike this afternoon.

If anyone wants an alternative the shimano bleed kit, go to tractor supply company and buy a 49 syringe and 1/8" fuel line. Does the trick for a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Workin for the weekend!
    Shortened both new XTR hoses, super easy and intuitive. I pulled the pads and pumped out the pistons a few times to fill the caliper with more fluid. A good idea, it made for a firm lever...
    Todd

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=bluebomberx;11004255]Thanks for posting that document! Installed a set of SLX on my wife's bike this afternoon.

If anyone wants an alternative the shimano bleed kit, go to tractor supply company and buy a 49 syringe and 1/8" fuel line. Does the trick for a fraction of the cost.

Were you able to thread into the caliper and master cylinder?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    Were you able to thread into the caliper and master cylinder?
    Not the master cylinder. They shimano funnel is only to catch the over flow. If you don't mind spilling some liquid gold, there is no need for it. I'll probably buy one for future use, but no need to spend they additional $20 on the syringe. The syringe only slides over bleed nipple. No threading involved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post

Thanks for re-posting the document. Just what I needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Worked like a charm, saving the pdf to my hard drive. I used an exacto knife to cut the hose and I think the cut was much smoother and event than when I have cut cables with cable cutters. I don't have a vice so I used Vice grips to clamp the yellow blocks and the hose and held it against something for resistance while hammering that insert into the hose. No leaks and no bleeding needed.

On a related note, my ice tech rotor did not come with the fixing washer. I called Jenson and they said that Shimano no longer uses the fixing washer but they haven't update their instructions. They claim that a lot of customers have called them about it...

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I don't have a vice so I used Vice grips to clamp the yellow blocks and the hose and held it against something for resistance while hammering that insert into the hose.
    I used the Vice Grip widget too and it worked like a charm.

Shortening Shimano XT hoses-img_6094.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Just A Mountain Biker.

I did this today, thanks for all the tips. Simple simple simple. I wish all threads on here were this helpful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Quick question before I attempt this on my XT's...
    Does all of the fluid leak out the opening, when the hose is removed from the lever? Or is it similar to my Stealth Reverb post, with a ball valve type of assembly that closes when the contact is opened?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Quick question before I attempt this on my XT's...
    Does all of the fluid leak out the opening, when the hose is removed from the lever? Or is it similar to my Stealth Reverb post, with a ball valve type of assembly that closes when the contact is opened?
    I just did it last week on Deores and there was 2-3 drops of fluid after I disconnected the hose that dripped once I accidentally moved the lever. I don't know what kind of valve is in the lever, but fluid does not leak out.

Magically Delicious
    As cjsb stated, you will only get a few drops out. That is, assuming you DON'T pull the brake lever. Note that any fluid coming out is being displaced with air and it's this air that we bleed off after re-assembly. The more fluid loss, the more air introduced.

mtbr member
    I also just did this with my deore's and there was no noticeable loss from the master but I was very careful not to bump it or touch the lever. I did bump the line which made a few drops come out but I'm hoping that didn't matter since it was before I cut the line.

mtbr member

The reason you pump the pistons out before cutting the line is because your are forcing that fluid back in to the reservoir after the line is reattached. A drop or three if loss won't matter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Shortened new XT brakes last night and couldn't believe how easy it was. Thanks to everyone for their additional comments to enhance the instructions. Excited to be done with Elixir 3 brakes... they were truly awful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_biker View Post
    Shortened new XT brakes last night and couldn't believe how easy it was. Excited to be done with Elixir 3 brakes... they were truly awful.
    Welcome to the club!

mtbr member
    I am just looking to reroute my brake line through my frame. Will it leak fluid if I disconnect the line form the lever (step 3 in the PDF)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I am just looking to reroute my brake line through my frame. Will it leak fluid if I disconnect the line form the lever (step 3 in the PDF)?
    When I did mine I had 2-3 drops come out well after I removed the line when I accidentally bumped the lever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    When I did mine I had 2-3 drops come out well after I removed the line when I accidentally bumped the lever.
    So assuming I don't touch the lever I should be good? Either way I will wait until after I ride tomorrow to mess with it.

Magically Delicious
    So assuming I don't touch the lever I should be good? Either way I will wait until after I ride tomorrow to mess with it.
    You're going to get some minor fluid loss through the open brake line, but that's to be expected. You might have to do a quick bottom up bleed, but if done by expanding brake pucks first, you should be fine without having to bleed. You can find that process here on MTBR. My assumption is that you're disconnecting the line from the master cylinder?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    just follow the instructions in that document and it should be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Shortening Shimano XT hoses

Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    personally, all this jazz about removing brake pads and pushing calipers and opening reservoirs seems to be overkill. I did it according to the instructions in this video and it worked flawless. I will add that while I do plenty of my own wrenching, I come from a roadie background and didn't feel entirely comfortable doing my brand new 785 hydros. After seeing just how easy it looked in the video I said "screw it" lets do it.

Super easy.

Mechanic Mondays
    Revert back to my post from.a year ago and stop complicating things

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Just finished trimming my slx hoses. Followed the pdf that seventh-777 posted. Worked like a charm! I did have to crack the front reservoir to let some air out. But the back one was fine and that was not needed.

mtbr member
    Just did my XT's tonight. The original link was bad and didn't see the updated link until now.

For anyone wondering if you can do this... I did front & rear in a hotel room. No stand, no vise, no vise grips. With the calipers on the bike (pads out)

Just some Allen wrenches, tire levers, small Channel Locks, Crescent wrench and a utility knife with a fresh blade (simply cut the hose while it was laid horizontal on a table).

Still need to pop the reservoir cap on the front brake, it's really stiff/firm.

Followed similar (same?) procedure.

Shorten Shimano Brake Hoses without Bleeding | Epic Bleed Solutions

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast