Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Has anybody in this thread come across the issue of the hose leaking near the caliper?
    Last edited by morkys; 03-23-2013 at 12:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Shortening Shimano XT hoses

Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Has anybody in this thread come across the issue of the hose leaking near the caliper?
    No, didn't go near my caliper to shorten my hoses

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I did this procedure on a set of SLX brakes a couple weeks ago and it worked like a charm. The bike has been sitting idle - my wife is supposed to be taking it out for its first ride on Friday. Last night I was looking it over and when I squeezed the rear brake lever it went straight to the handlebar. Repeatedly pumping the lever got the brake working again so that it feels like the front brake. So what's going on? There is obviously air somewhere in the system, but I don't understand this well enough to know where. Could it be air at the top of the hose and the air bubble got worked out into the reservoir, or is it somewhere in the caliper? The only thing I did with these was shorten the hose at the brake lever, so I don't see how there could be air down at the caliper. Thanks for any insight!

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I did this procedure on a set of SLX brakes a couple weeks ago and it worked like a charm. The bike has been sitting idle - my wife is supposed to be taking it out for its first ride on Friday. Last night I was looking it over and when I squeezed the rear brake lever it went straight to the handlebar. Repeatedly pumping the lever got the brake working again so that it feels like the front brake. So what's going on? There is obviously air somewhere in the system, but I don't understand this well enough to know where. Could it be air at the top of the hose and the air bubble got worked out into the reservoir, or is it somewhere in the caliper? The only thing I did with these was shorten the hose at the brake lever, so I don't see how there could be air down at the caliper. Thanks for any insight!
    You should wipe everything down with OH, clean and dry. Rebleed the brake. If the problem is solved, then that's that. If there is a leak, you should check very carefully. The hose/lever junction, the banjo, the piston seals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fachiro1 View Post
    You should wipe everything down with OH, clean and dry. Rebleed the brake. If the problem is solved, then that's that. If there is a leak, you should check very carefully. The hose/lever junction, the banjo, the piston seals.
    There's no sign that anything leaked so that makes me think the air is up in the reservoir for the master cylinder. Unfortunately I don't currently have a bleed kit - I was naively optimistic that I wouldn't need one. Anyone have any good links to instructions on bleeding Shimano brakes? And no, I haven't used the search function yet...

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    Anyone have any good links to instructions on bleeding Shimano brakes?
    Shimano techdoc for bleeding XT M785

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Name:  XT caliper pistons out.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  43.5 KB

In the descriptions saying to pull the lever a few times so that the pistons are out about as much as the picture shows is kind of imprecise. Doesn't the amount the pistons stick out when you do this determine anything about piston and pad position once you are done? I wish they gave you a measurement or an amount. Like if you put the red spacer in without the pads, or two red spacers, or some sort of measurement.

Anyhow, I will try it one way or the other. A friend recommended a black olfa blade instead of the cutters like in the Shimano guide. I am just getting the tools together to do this for my front and rear XT brakes not installed yet.

mtbr member
    Some great info here, I read the tech docs and posts but still pretty confusing/complicated to someone coming off BB7. Just finished a build with these XT brakes and the hoses need to be shortened. Couple of questions:

1.Can the lines be trimmed without bleeding or removing the pads(as described in the tech docs), since the bike is in a stand and the calipers are lower than the levers?

2. If I have an issue what is necessary to bleed? Shimano tech doc Indicates the SM part with oil funnel and stopper. Does this include the tubing they show in diagrams?

3. A syringe is needed too? How bout that plastic bag in the pics, use a regular sandwich bag?

4. Looks like you always need oil and is the Shimano the best choice or will any mineral oil work?

Sorry for all the questions but it's my first time with hydro maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Some great info here, I read the tech docs and posts but still pretty confusing/complicated to someone coming off BB7. Just finished a build with these XT brakes and the hoses need to be shortened. Couple of questions:

1.Can the lines be trimmed without bleeding or removing the pads(as described in the tech docs), since the bike is in a stand and the calipers are lower than the levers?

2. If I have an issue what is necessary to bleed? Shimano tech doc Indicates the SM part with oil funnel and stopper. Does this include the tubing they show in diagrams?

3. A syringe is needed too? How bout that plastic bag in the pics, use a regular sandwich bag?

4. Looks like you always need oil and is the Shimano the best choice or will any mineral oil work?

I can only comment on 1 and 4.

1) Yes you can definitely trim the brakes without bleeding, many people here are doing it. Yes you can do it without doing the pad removal and piston movement, but it's good to try it Shimano's way. It's instructed that you do it that way in order to reduce the chance of any air getting in that may then require a bleed. I am doing it the Shimano way today. Will report back.

4) Only use Shimano mineral oil. Shimano brakes are designed using Shimano mineral oil which is proprietary. Do not use any other mineral oil.

mtbr member
    Dude this should be a sticky! My local bike shop wanted to charge $45 per side to shorten my brake cables. Spent less than an hour to shorten both cables and saved 90 bucks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been so busy this week. This is also replacement job too, as I'm upgrading my brakes and rotors, a complete install, not just shortening hoses.

So far, I've only done the front. I messed it up the first time because I was rushed and also once done, I felt I hadn't quite cut it short enough anyhow. Second time was good. Being the first time I have installed these brakes, I am also aligning everything too at the same time. Front 180 mm Icetech rotor was a hair warped. Gentle bend at the right place with my hand and it's all good. Next comes the rear brake.

100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    I just shortened my hoses on my new shimano deore brakes using these instructions & it was quite simple & easy. The only mistake that i made was that i should of loosened my master cylinder & turned it on the bars so when i diconnected the hose, the brake fluid wouldn't have dripped out. I also used a sharp exacto knife which made a perfect cut both times. I tried my cable cutters, just to see & they make a terribly burred cut. The brakes work great & the lever pull is just fine. No big deal to shorten the hoses. The only problem is the non-stop rain & I can't ride.
    -always thinking about the next ride-

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Answer below.

Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post

1. Yes. It is easy. If you do something wrong, though, then you will need a bleed.

2-3. The funnel is necessary to prevent air from going back in to the reservoir (I learned this the hard way). Some mechanics have a good feel for how to do it without allowing air in, but the funnel makes it foolproof. You can use either a syringe (easiest) or the small Shimano squeeze bottle to push the fluid up, which is the most important step. Any ziploc/plastic baggie works.

4. Yes, use Shimano oil. Supposedly some other types of oil may not agree with the rubber in the brake seals. I have been told that Tektro oil is the same, but am not sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fremenrider View Post
    I just shortened my hoses on my new shimano deore brakes using these instructions & it was quite simple & easy. The only mistake that i made was that i should of loosened my master cylinder & turned it on the bars so when i diconnected the hose, the brake fluid wouldn't have dripped out. I also used a sharp exacto knife which made a perfect cut both times. I tried my cable cutters, just to see & they make a terribly burred cut. The brakes work great & the lever pull is just fine. No big deal to shorten the hoses. The only problem is the non-stop rain & I can't ride.
    I just did my new brakes and just like you, found it to be pretty easy. I should have read your post more closely as I tried to use cable cutters as well but had the same results! Otherwise, a super easy job.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    I did the same procedure but I used Cigar cutter to cut the line. Couldn't find my cutters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirthugger View Post
    I did the same procedure but I used Cigar cutter to cut the line. Couldn't find my cutters.
    Now that is a great idea. Never even thought of that...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi guys,

I have just bought some new XT 785s and I need to shorten the hoses. I just tried to do it, but once I'd unscrewed the connecting bolt the hose wouldn't come out, even after pulling reasonably hard.

Am I just being too cautious? I don't want to break anything, I've already learned the hard way about using brute force!

Also, would it make more sense to take the lever off the bar again so I can prevent oil coming out of the lever / reservoir?

One last question: Is it good practice to regularly oil the pistons and clean them with a q-tip? My old brakes screwed up and I assume this was through lack of maintenance?

Thanks for you help - This thread is really useful even though I haven't succeeded yet.

Knob scrubber
    This has to be one of the most useful threads I have come across. I just shortened the hoses on my new XT brakes using the instructions, which are ridiculously easy to follow. Took me less than an hour, and no bleeding required, brilliant!
    Real men do it in the dirt

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Do the 785 brakes feel a little stiff if the universal olive and barb are used instead of the BH90 one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't know how they feel with universal parts,but they feel pretty firm and powerful with the Shimano parts. My only knock on the Shimano brakes is that they don't have a whole lot of modulation - I still think they are pretty amazing though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have done less on two sets of shimanos. Perfect both times. The shimanos may not be as flashy as formulas or as light as maguras but, for the money, I think they are just awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So amazing how easy that is to do as a task. Kudos to Shimano for making it rather simple. It's not like overhauling a Reverb. Follow the instructions to a T and it will go smoothly. I let out a little air from the reservoir and it feels the same as before.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    When shortening the hoses, do I need any spare parts, like the connecting rod and the olive?

I have ordered some XTR 985 brakes and might need to shorten the hoses..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Shortening Shimano XT hoses

Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    When shortening the hoses, do I need any spare parts, like the connecting rod and the olive?

I have ordered some XTR 985 brakes and might need to shorten the hoses..
    You need the olive and the barb, which come w/ the kit unless buying OEM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    my brakes will be pre-bled I think. I should order some olive and barb then and see if I can cut the hoses myself. Hopefully I will. Im not a skilled mechanic.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast