Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162

    Shortening magura lines???

    I just ordered my Magura Louise FR's. I have read that I will need new "olives" when I shorten the lines. Will I need them with a new factory bled and sealed sytem after, I cut the lines or can I use the new ones over again? I mean crap, their new ... right???
    GOD made DIRT & DIRT don't hurt!!!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Thumper
    I just ordered my Magura Louise FR's. I have read that I will need new "olives" when I shorten the lines. Will I need them with a new factory bled and sealed sytem after, I cut the lines or can I use the new ones over again? I mean crap, their new ... right???
    Mine came with 1 separate olive and barb each, so you get to shorten the lines once. The factory installed olive/barb is discarded along with the excess hose.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12

    olives....

    will get compressed when the hose is fitted. Thus, even when "new", they may not properly seal again (that's what I've heard). Probably better to fit a new one.

    regards, prion

  4. #4
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,586
    It's better to have new olives and Magura generally includes them with a new brake kit. But they can be reused, especiallly if its coming from the factory since they're not likely to have been overtightened & deformed.
    Life....the original terminal illness

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    It's better to have new olives and Magura generally includes them with a new brake kit. But they can be reused, especiallly if its coming from the factory since they're not likely to have been overtightened & deformed.
    Mine were crimped on the hose pretty tight from the factory, I very much doubt it would be possible to get them off the hose and reuse them without ruining them. That worked sometimes with HS33's, but not on the Louise with the barb in there.

    The olives form a seal by deforming to conform to the mating surfaces. Like copper or aluminum washers used for the same purpose, they get work hardened on the mating surface and don't deform as well the second time. Reusing them means you may have to tighten the joint up more and it'll be more prone to leaking. Why risk stripping an aluminum thread and ruining the expensive part, use new ones.

  6. #6
    (aka SS_MB-7)
    Reputation: 1speed_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_f
    Mine were crimped on the hose pretty tight from the factory, I very much doubt it would be possible to get them off the hose and reuse them without ruining them. That worked sometimes with HS33's, but not on the Louise with the barb in there.

    The olives form a seal by deforming to conform to the mating surfaces. Like copper or aluminum washers used for the same purpose, they get work hardened on the mating surface and don't deform as well the second time. Reusing them means you may have to tighten the joint up more and it'll be more prone to leaking. Why risk stripping an aluminum thread and ruining the expensive part, use new ones.
    It would be really nice if Formula, Shimano and Magura (all brakes I've owned) would adopt the oh-so-simple and re-useable fitting found on the Hopes. Simply, loosen off the shroud nut, slide it down the line and then gently pry-open the brass sleeve and gently pull off the line...so simple.

    What I have found with the non-reusable style is that you sometimes have to cut the line at the end of the olive, which means each time, the line becomes progressively shorter. Sometimes you can remove the olive without having to cut. This is particularly the case if you have to remove the rear brake line from the frame's hose guides.

    Again, not a big deal...just something I've noticed.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Similar Threads

  1. Magura Marta: Post to IS mount?
    By CulBaire in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 07:02 PM
  2. Shimano mineral oil in Magura HS33s?
    By AndyC in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 01:15 AM
  3. Magura pads - poor performance
    By Andy67 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:25 AM
  4. Turner 5 Spot & Magura Air Pro Rear Shock?
    By Dirk (UK) in forum Turner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 11:03 AM
  5. magura louise FR leverl feel question
    By ToddM in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 08:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •