mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Shortening hose on Shimano XT BR-M785

Hey everyone,

I recently ordered a pair of XTs (BR-M785), pre-bled and the hoses are way too long.

I followed this guide from the Schimano site, and cut the hose to install the rear brake. Then, installed the brakes.

The problem I'm having is that there is that the brake levers hardly actuate the pads so that it is pretty much ineffective. They were working fine before I cut the hose.

I'm guessing that maybe I let some air in the lines, though I did follow the instructions on their site exactly.

Any ideas on what to do (besides taking it into an LBS)? I'd like to at least figure out how I botched the job. I'm holding off on the front brake installation for now.

One thing missing from the guide: I'm guessing that the olive will crimps onto the hose when you tighten up the connecting bolt on the lever.

Thanks!

Plays with tools
    You've got air in your system and need to bleed them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ah, so I suspected. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If the OP followed the directions exactly, then what would've caused this issue? Asking because I'll be doing the same installation real soon, and will need to cut my hoses to desired length as well.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Air can enter the system when you are cuttig the line. You resally need to hold them vertical and use a very sharp cutting instrument or line cutter and make the cut square and clean.
    It is possible that air got into the line at the part of the hose that is cut. Just a few bubbles of air will do it. Also, when installing the new olive, be very careful and make sure it is straight and apply even pressure when screwing down the bolt.

Once everything is back in place, tightened up, you also need to give the lever a few hard sustained squeezes; make sure that everything gets fully seated. If after that, you still have a soggy lever, then you will need to have to rebleed. Fortunately, its not that difficult with the Shimanos.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Do Not Squeeze the levers while the hose is disconnected from the levers.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Do Not Squeeze the levers while the hose is disconnected from the levers.
    I've found that if I squeeze the lever ever so slightly when I'm inserting the line and keep it squeezed until the connection is secure that it will pull any air in the line into the master cylinder and into the reservoir. It's worked for me for years on hundreds of trimmed lines.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's always a good idea to bleed your system when cutting lines. By the sound of your situation, you ended up with air in the line. The nice thing is that the 785 brakes are so easy to bleed.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta