mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Shipping a bike with hydros - any precautions needed?

When I say shipping, I mean in a cargo container, half way around the world. And it's going to spend some time on a semi running across the US as well. My avid elixir 1 system has been very good to me for the past year and a half, but I suspect that the fluid may expand a bit once it's all heated up in that container (I've read we can get up over 130F for extended periods). Should I drain some fluid out of the system before I load the bike into the container, or is there some other trick that might work? I doubt the fluid can expand enough to cause any damage (maybe blow an o-ring or something?), but I can't take any chances, with customs and immigration in New Zealand being pretty nervous about all things shipped!

mtbr member
    Brakes are designed to get a lot hotter than that; there's no need to do anything to prepare. I suppose there's a chance you'll have to bleed them afterward, but there's not much you can do beforehand to reduce the chance.
    Just put something (rotor or transport device) between the pads and all is good.

mtbr member
    The bikes are shipped in giant cargo boxes on huge ships all the way across the sea each year to get to the US, it'll be fine.