Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shimano Zent

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Well, the difficulty level is like 2/10, so just go ahead if you have access to a lathe.

Magura
    I should just run a bunch of these when I get some time after I get settled in the new shop.

Turn it out of some hex bar stock....

-S

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    I should just run a bunch of these when I get some time after I get settled in the new shop.

Turn it out of some hex bar stock....

-S
    Sorry to say this, but I'm fairly sure that is above your skill level.

Now if somebody else had a lathe with rotating tools, they wouldn't need to make it of hex stock, but could relatively easily get a nice hand friendly design

Magura

banned
    Sep 2012
    Sorry to say this, but I'm fairly sure that is above your skill level.

Now if somebody else had a lathe with rotating tools, they wouldn't need to make it of hex stock, but could relatively easily get a nice hand friendly design

Magura
    LOL... the next lathe I'll have to get one with live tooling and possibly Y axis too.

Could go the simple way and just knurl the grips.

DIY all the way
    LOL... the next lathe I'll have to get one with live tooling and possibly Y axis too.

Could go the simple way and just knurl the grips.
    Oh, I thought I was being funny, as your lathe looked like it had live tooling

In that case I too think I'd just make a UFO shaped knob, of hex stock.
    Either that, or throw some round stock in the CNC milling machine.

Magura

banned
    Sep 2012
    Oh, I thought I was being funny, as your lathe looked like it had live tooling

In that case I too think I'd just make a UFO shaped knob, of hex stock.
    Either that, or throw some round stock in the CNC milling machine.

Magura
    Haha.. we could call them "UFO" lol.

-S

DIY all the way
    Haha.. we could call them "UFO" lol.

-S
    Speaking of UFO, check your mail.

Magura

banned
    Sep 2012
    Speaking of UFO, check your mail.

Magura
    I could make them shaped like ninja throwing stars... lol

-S

DIY all the way
    I could make them shaped like ninja throwing stars... lol

-S
    Which brings us to laser cutting,

Magura

mtbr member
    I did this mod on my SLX brakes. Works great!! Mr. Magura helped me out. Thanks!

Shimano Zent-brakemod.jpg

mtbr member
    If someone made a CAD file, there's a 3D printer who would make these in large batches.

mtbr member
    A pic of the parts involved in this little upgrade.

As you can see, none of them are hard to make.
    The bolts are made of standard countersunk M4 bolts, where the head is machined down to 5mm.

In the back you can see the tool I made for removing the blanking bolt.
    Center to center is 3mm, pins are 1mm hardened steel, the shaft is made of whatever you got laying around.

Magura
    Can you re-post this picture? I am not seeing what you are referring to here. I just found this thread and am totally going to do this mod.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm probably just being silly, but I cannot see any pics posted on this thread?
    Would it be possible to repost a couple/knock me into the right position to see them?
    Awesome thread btw

mtbr member
    Huh. It seems the forum ate all of mine. No idea what happened, but I don't have the pics anymore...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I did this mod on my SLX brakes this weekend, it works great!

As I was putting the bolts into the levers, there was a noise, like I broke something plastic behind the lever. I continued tightening it very slowly and it started making a difference after putting it in further, and the brakes still seem to work well.

Does anyone know what the noise could have been
    caused by? Maybe the part that the bolt depresses was just stuck with a bit of dirt and had never moved before?

Anyway I really like the tighter feeling after the mod

Shimano Zent-20131006_150140_richtone-hdr-.jpg
    Last edited by dINGLE485; 10-07-2013 at 02:31 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock

Dissolved member
    Neither Mr. Magura nor Shibi visit this forum any more, but if you look carefully at my signature, it will lead you to a place that they frequent now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    No, it has to be metric. M4. Not 4-40. I used a M4 bolt, 16mm long, 3mm hex head.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedoom34 View Post
    No, it has to be metric. M4. Not 4-40. I used a M4 bolt, 16mm long, 3mm hex head.
    Thanks.

Found it on Amazon.they're for rc use.

Atomik M4 x 16mm SH Screws 6pcs:Amazon:Toys & Games
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    How awesome is it that people figured this out? Even though the difference in MSRP for the XT vs SLX is only about $10 there was a big "sales" price difference when I got my set from chainreactioncycles.com. The XT was on sale for $95 and the SLX was only $71 each so the $48 difference for a set was pretty significant.

As soon as they get here I plan on modding my gear. Nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhenric View Post
    As soon as they get here I plan on modding my gear. Nice.
    Be very careful when tightening the M4 bolt on your SLX lever. It butts up against a small plastic shoulder that can only be adjusted by a couple of mm. If you keep tightening the bolt, the plastic bit will break. This happened to me and now my reach adjust is no longer adjustable! Fortunately, the brake still work fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
    Be very careful when tightening the M4 bolt on your SLX lever. It butts up against a small plastic shoulder that can only be adjusted by a couple of mm. If you keep tightening the bolt, the plastic bit will break. This happened to me and now my reach adjust is no longer adjustable! Fortunately, the brake still work fine.
    So when you were installing the bolt, you started threading it in and then you felt resistance and it broke a few turns after that? If you were giving me installation tips, what would you say?
    Does it only start adjusting as soon as I hit the plastic part? Thanks in advance for the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So when you were installing the bolt, you started threading it in and then you felt resistance and it broke a few turns after that?
    Yep, that's what happened. When you feel resistance is when it starts to adjust. There is very little adjustment possible so if you go too far, say, you want the reach even tighter, you run the risk of breaking the plastic bit.
    Does it only start adjusting as soon as I hit the plastic part?
    That's right. The bolt that comes stock on the SLX lever is already pushed up against the plastic bit by a fixed amount. You can push it a bit further but it seems pretty fragile.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
    Yep, that's what happened. When you feel resistance is when it starts to adjust. There is very little adjustment possible so if you go too far, say, you want the reach even tighter, you run the risk of breaking the plastic bit.
    So what kind of distance are we talking about? 2 rotations? More? Less?

I'm probably playing with fire by messing with this since the general consensus is that it doesn't really change the feel of the brake very much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So what kind of distance are we talking about? 2 rotations? More? Less?

I'm probably playing with fire by messing with this since the general consensus is that it doesn't really change the feel of the brake very much.
    I'm afraid I don't remember exactly how many turns. If you remove the lever from the bars, you can take a look at the area in question. If I was to do this again, I would watch as I turned the bolt to make sure I didn't go too far.

As you say and as I found out, this adjustment doesn't change the feel very much, which is probably why I went too far, thinking that more turns would make a bigger difference. Still, it is noticeable. I was quite happy with the free stroke at its minimum until the plastic bits fell out of the lever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did this to my brand new Zee brakes before finding this thread. First I pulled the adjustment screw out of the XTs on the other bike and put them on the Zees. No noticeable change but I did see the contact point, the shoulder thats talked about. I then found a screw that worked though it's 2" long so I tried that just to see if adjustment is possible. The lever moved slightly but I broke the shoulder as well. From the point resistance is felt, there are 2 turns available (on mine) before breaking stuff. I didn't know mine was broken until I backed the screw off and it fell out. No noticeable change anyway from no screw all the way to the breaking point so it's no real loss.

I suggest to anyone doing this to not go much if any farther than the XT length screw which is about 1-2mm longer at most than the one that comes in the Zee.

Going off topic, I can't say the Zees have more power than my Deores. Modulation is better for sure. After spending lots of time on the caliper setup getting it perfectly aligned and bleeding the system several times, the excessive lever travel is gone and they have a firm feeling like the other Shimano brakes I have. These needed to be bled right out of the box unlike every other Shimano brake I've purchased. The lever returns much quicker after letting off the brake after the bleed as well. The whole thing feels lighter and less squishy.

I know my experience is just two brakes out of thousands but it seems like these brakes offer the same firmness and lever travel as any other newer Shimano brake but you have to really work with the setup. Since mine has been setup right the lever pull is consistent and the adjustment mod is not needed. I'm glad mine broke because it forced me to dig deeper and get it right.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX - 1x11 XX1/X01, Monarch Plus, Zee 4 pots, 203 Icetech, Laser V

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2