Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 43 of 43

Thread: Shimano Zent

  1. #26
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Well, the difficulty level is like 2/10, so just go ahead if you have access to a lathe.


    Magura
    I should just run a bunch of these when I get some time after I get settled in the new shop.

    Turn it out of some hex bar stock....

    -S

  2. #27
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    I should just run a bunch of these when I get some time after I get settled in the new shop.

    Turn it out of some hex bar stock....

    -S
    Sorry to say this, but I'm fairly sure that is above your skill level.

    Now if somebody else had a lathe with rotating tools, they wouldn't need to make it of hex stock, but could relatively easily get a nice hand friendly design


    Magura

  3. #28
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Sorry to say this, but I'm fairly sure that is above your skill level.

    Now if somebody else had a lathe with rotating tools, they wouldn't need to make it of hex stock, but could relatively easily get a nice hand friendly design


    Magura
    LOL... the next lathe I'll have to get one with live tooling and possibly Y axis too.

    Could go the simple way and just knurl the grips.

  4. #29
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    LOL... the next lathe I'll have to get one with live tooling and possibly Y axis too.

    Could go the simple way and just knurl the grips.
    Oh, I thought I was being funny, as your lathe looked like it had live tooling

    In that case I too think I'd just make a UFO shaped knob, of hex stock.
    Either that, or throw some round stock in the CNC milling machine.


    Magura

  5. #30
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Oh, I thought I was being funny, as your lathe looked like it had live tooling

    In that case I too think I'd just make a UFO shaped knob, of hex stock.
    Either that, or throw some round stock in the CNC milling machine.


    Magura
    Haha.. we could call them "UFO" lol.

    -S

  6. #31
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Haha.. we could call them "UFO" lol.

    -S
    Speaking of UFO, check your mail.


    Magura

  7. #32
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Speaking of UFO, check your mail.


    Magura
    I could make them shaped like ninja throwing stars... lol

    -S

  8. #33
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    I could make them shaped like ninja throwing stars... lol

    -S
    Which brings us to laser cutting,


    Magura

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bikemaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    900
    I did this mod on my SLX brakes. Works great!! Mr. Magura helped me out. Thanks!

    Shimano Zent-brakemod.jpg

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    205
    If someone made a CAD file, there's a 3D printer who would make these in large batches.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    A pic of the parts involved in this little upgrade.

    As you can see, none of them are hard to make.
    The bolts are made of standard countersunk M4 bolts, where the head is machined down to 5mm.

    In the back you can see the tool I made for removing the blanking bolt.
    Center to center is 3mm, pins are 1mm hardened steel, the shaft is made of whatever you got laying around.

    Magura
    Can you re-post this picture? I am not seeing what you are referring to here. I just found this thread and am totally going to do this mod.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    I'm probably just being silly, but I cannot see any pics posted on this thread?
    Would it be possible to repost a couple/knock me into the right position to see them?
    Awesome thread btw

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bikemaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    900
    Huh. It seems the forum ate all of mine. No idea what happened, but I don't have the pics anymore...

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    I did this mod on my SLX brakes this weekend, it works great!

    As I was putting the bolts into the levers, there was a noise, like I broke something plastic behind the lever. I continued tightening it very slowly and it started making a difference after putting it in further, and the brakes still seem to work well.

    Does anyone know what the noise could have been
    caused by? Maybe the part that the bolt depresses was just stuck with a bit of dirt and had never moved before?

    Anyway I really like the tighter feeling after the mod

    Shimano Zent-20131006_150140_richtone-hdr-.jpg
    Last edited by dINGLE485; 10-07-2013 at 02:31 AM.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    52
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock

  16. #41
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,339
    Neither Mr. Magura nor Shibi visit this forum any more, but if you look carefully at my signature, it will lead you to a place that they frequent now.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    29
    No, it has to be metric. M4. Not 4-40. I used a M4 bolt, 16mm long, 3mm hex head.


  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedoom34 View Post
    No, it has to be metric. M4. Not 4-40. I used a M4 bolt, 16mm long, 3mm hex head.
    Thanks.

    Found it on Amazon.they're for rc use.

    Atomik M4 x 16mm SH Screws 6pcs:Amazon:Toys & Games
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •