Noob
    Jan 2012

Shimano XT's or Hope X2's??? Help me decide!

Background: I am about 190 geared up and ride a hard tail on northern New Jersey single track. Hills and such, but no real mountains or extended downhill runs. Mostly flowing XC single track. I currently have 2006 Juicy 7's (160 rotors) that provide plenty of stopping power for my situation.

I am thinking of getting new brakes and considering the XT's or the Hope X2's. The prices including new rotors and such are about the same for both options. I have read good reviews for the Hopes, but the XT reviews seem to be outstanding. I lean toward the XT's based on performance reports but the Hopes are so much prettier--the XT's look so darn "basic". That is not an unimportant issue to me. I "rawed" out my frame and think that the machined Hopes would compliment it really well. Big cool factor.

That said, what do you guys think? For those with Hope X2's, will they match the braking performance of my current Juicy 7's? Will they be quieter than my Juicy 7's? I am pretty sure folks with the XT's would say "yes" to both of the above questions, correct?

If the braking performance is basically the same for my XC riding conditions (not AM or downhill), then I will go with the nicer looking Hopes. I think they would be a great match for the rawed out frame! What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Where can you get Hope Tech Evo X2 for the same price at Shimano XT M785????? I too was considering Hope when I needed new disc brakes, but the price/performance ratio of the Shimano XT M785 is untouchable. I was happy to pay 180euros per set for my XT M785, was a good price in September, but now they are even cheaper!

Shimano XT Scheibenbremse BR-M785 Set schwarz
    156euros works out to be a little over $200/set. (By golly, some things really are cheaper in Germany.......)

Where can you get Hope brakes for $100/corner?????? (Ok, so shipping from Germany should be about $20, so factor that in and it's still cheaper from bike-discount.)

Noob
    Jan 2012
    Well, not exactly the same price, but very close. Amazon.com has the Hopes for $143 which you can get just about anyone to price match. The cheapest I have found XT's with Icetech pads is $109 at Blue Sky. BTW, I have also seen them without the Icetech pads at $99. So, the Hopes are actually about $68 more for the set--not a huge difference.

Noob
    Jan 2012
    Any more thoughts from folks with experience on either of these brakes?

mtbr member
    175 geared HT here.

I don't know what the Hopes are like to bleed, but if a noob wrench like me can bleed the XTs without issue, surely that's one over the XTs have on X2s!

Also, if price is a consideration, XTs win again!

Owning the XTs has been nothing but bliss. Great modulation, fantastic stopping power, price, ease of maintenance...did I forget anything
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Hopes are the best brakes I've used. I've only tried the XT's on a friends bike and they felt powerful but I've been using Hopes for several years and they are great. Super easy to bleed as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got the XT's last week. I ride a hardtail in Houston so no downhill. These have plenty of stopping power for me. I weigh 195. Easy to set up and shorten hoses.

MTBR Member
    I've been on the Tech M4's for a few years now. They are outstanding brakes. You can dial the tech lever in to get the best feel for you. Easy to set up, easy to maintain, and good customer support that you can deal with directly - with Shimano, you would have to go through a local shop. I've set up the Tech x2's and Tech x2 evo's, and those are solid as well.

Haven't used the newer Shimano brakes. I'm sure they are solid, but in my experience, Hope seems hard to beat...they are worth every penny.

11 is one louder than 10
    Get the new XT's. Cheaper, tons of power, super easy to bleed, and use mineral oil which I prefer as it it's much better on paint etc.

Worried about if you are going to be happy, order them from performance, get 10%(team performance) back plus whatever coupon they have going (or wait until 15% or 20%). And if you don't dig them - return them anytime.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I got X2 evo and absolutely love them. great modulation. PBC and reach lever works. I went to mtbr review section and looks like a close call if you get either one. each brake has their pro's and con's, so it'll come down to what suits your need and budget.

Shimano Deore XT BR-M785 Hydraulic Disc Brake System Reviews
    Hope Tech X2 Disc Brake System Reviews

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I used to run Juicy 5s. I actually found them to perform adequately, but was never particularly happy with the way they interacted with the other stuff on my bar (ie I couldn't get 1 finger braking to work to my satisfaction), so after four years I decided to upgrade. I went with Hope M4 (front) and X2 (rear), and in general have been very pleased with them. I don't know that they're really any more powerful than the Juicy's were (with stock pads, anyway), but the modulation is way better, they're not as noisy, I can get them set up exactly the way I like them, and they do look cool. That said, this past summer I demoed a bike for a couple of weeks with the M785 XTs on it... I friggin' LOVE the way those brakes feel. I'm not certain that they're significantly more powerful, but they feel like they are due to the cam in the lever. They give up a bit on modulation to the Hopes, but not a big deal. Unfortunately, I think the master cylinders look like crap, I don't like the bar clamps, and the master cylinder gets in the way of positioning the trigger for my dropper post. The calipers don't look as nice as the Hopes either, but they're not in your face ugly. Appearance-wise my main beef is the shiny cover on the master. If you're considering the XTs, take a good look at Shimano's complete line... You'll get basically the same performance and feel out of XTR Trail, XT and SLX, but with different finishes, different features, different weights, and different pricepoints. Same with Saint vs Zee. From an appearance standpoint, I'd like to mix and match a Saint lever with an XT or SLX caliper. Otherwise, I'll probably run SLX brakes on my next XC bike.

Noob
    Jan 2012
    Jduffet...great messgae. I think I like the finish on the slx better too.

mtbr member
    Both brakes are very good, but with Hope, you might as well go to the m4 or v2/4 series. Much stronger without the weight gain, well not too much anyways. The x stuff is nice, but why not go to the m or v? Hope brakes are the best around.

beater
    I guarantee the new XTs are stronger than Juicy 7s. I have both, and when I get back on my hardtail after a while away from it, the Juicys always scare the bejeebus out of me when I grab them for the first downhill, expecting the performance of my XTs. I plan on replacing them with some SLX brakes when I have some disposable monies. The Shimanos are also much quieter. I went to Outerbike this year, and EVERY bike that had Avid brakes had turkey warble ranging from annoying to bad.

I have Hope hubs, have had good experince with thems and can definitely appreciate the cool factor of the brakes, but for me I just can't find any reason to not go with the new Shimanos.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i own both hope x2 tech evo and shimano xt trail m785 on 2 bikes.

both are about the same in terms of brake power wise. hope brake came with organic pad while xt trail came with sintered pad.

i like hope for it's awesome modulations. it gave me more control on technical sections (used on my AM bike). they also looks really good with those CNC looks. however, the long lever and bulkier clamp can be bit of annoyance to get them fit nicely with shifters for my hand. i ended up spending additional $$ on hope match maker + shimano ispec cover to help with my fitting. so be prepare for the additional $$ needed.

also note that the CNC hope tech lever is long solid and strong that it can be dangerous... i got a 10 stich because of the lever poke into me during a crash. not funny.

the new shimano m785 XT trail brake is impressive.. power and modulation are very good too... they are priced about 40% cheaper than my hope x2 brake in the part of world i live. i like the new lever...small and very good ergonomic when combined with shimano shifters.

i would buy the xt over hope for the price different and still be very happy with it. they work great and affordable. Hope is bling and the slight better modulation wont bothers me. But i do see hope brake are easily serviceable. every single parts can easily be found online and buy separately. i realized that when i need replacement after my crash. the thing with shimano... it can be hard to get spare parts for where i stay.

Noob
    Jan 2012
    Great feedback everybody! Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Has anyone tried or considered Shimano's new "Zee" brakes or other Zee components?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Having owned Hope V2's, M4's, Formula Ones, Formula R1's and then XTR Race and Trail (trail are imho essentially the same as XT ones) brakes there is only one that I would go for again and thats the Shimano. The feel of the lever is really nice, good power and they just work. The Hopes imho look a bit agricultural, backup from hope was good though.

bump and grind
    Cant go wrong with either. The XT's are greater value though for me since they are much cheaper than the Hopes (in my part of the world anyway). The new XTs are both powerful and have great modulation. However, Ive had some problem with occasional squealing. Not a biggie. The Hope Tech X2s have been flawless for a couple of years now. No bleeding necessary, the adjustments work, and great feel.