mtbr member
    Aug 2007

New question here. Shimano XTR-Trail M988 --VS.-- Hope V4 Evo Tech Stealth

I am about to purchase new brakes for my new Intense Tracer 2. I have narrowed it down to 2 brakes:

2013 Shimano XTR Trail M988 w/ IceTech Rotors 180/180mm

2013 Hope V4 (not M4) Evo Tech Stealth (Black) w/ Floating Rotors 183/183mm

Has anyone had time on both of these brakes? I LOVE hope brakes, had an older pair of the M4's and they worked great, I just would have loved for them to be a bit lighter and would have loved Reach/pad adjustment, so the V4 Tech EVO seem awesome, but I have not seen a single review on them.

However, I hear nothing but good things about the Shimano XTR-Trail M988 Brakes as well. The Icetech rotors seem to make them even better.

At about the same price... WHICH ONES!?

mtbr member
    I have the Hope v4 front and back and it's an unbelieveable brake. I like the XTR as it is nice and light, but the Hope is just so much better in every other way. I have faded out the XTR trails on a really hardcore downhill run, which they were not intended for and did ppretty well for a xc/am brake, but have never faded out the hopes on any downhill runs. Yes they are heavier, but you set it and forget it.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I had both the M4 Evo and the XT m785s.

Both are powerful, but they feel very different. The Hopes have long levers and about twice as much lever travel before engaging the brakes. There's a fair bit of level travel throughout engagement which I suspect is why people say they modulate so well.

The XTs bite much faster with less lever travel. They have higher initial bite. Modulation is similar, but you don't have to squeeze as much on the levers to achieve more power. Levers are also much shorter- these are obviously designed for one finger use.

Both are good, for me it came down to preferring the ergronomics of the Shimanos.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    I had both the M4 Evo and the XT m785s.

Both are powerful, but they feel very different. The Hopes have long levers and about twice as much lever travel before engaging the brakes. There's a fair bit of level travel throughout engagement which I suspect is why people say they modulate so well.

The XTs bite much faster with less lever travel. They have higher initial bite. Modulation is similar, but you don't have to squeeze as much on the levers to achieve more power. Levers are also much shorter- these are obviously designed for one finger use.

Both are good, for me it came down to preferring the ergronomics of the Shimanos.
    I went from Hope Tech M4/X2 to XTR trail brakes and I 100% agree with this! They are both great brakes so it is all down to ergonomics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the v4 and they are sweet brakes with a high end machined look. They will definately be heavier than xtr especially as they come with braided hoses (which add approx 100g in total). There is plenty of power and it builds nicely with a lot of control.

i have tried a friends bike with the similar (to xtr) xt brakes fitted and have to say that i do like the short lever and throw, and the hard initial bite- they feel nice and strong.

For me it comes down to having total faith in your brakes, knowing that even in an Alpine environment they wont let you down and fade. Whenever brakes have let me down like that in the past, they have been replaced straight away. The v4 will cover a wider range of riding than the xtr, just depends what you need really.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.