steep fast and loose :)

Shimano XTR Trail or Hope Tech Evo X2 ?

thoughts / opinion / experience ?

TIA

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have not ridden the X2, but own a set of hope tech m4s. And the main difference with Hope brakes over the competition is modulation/feel/reliability. I have heard great things about xtr brakes as well, and from what I have read about the new xtr is that they are pretty powerful. But with little modulation, this is what I've read, so I have no experience to testify whether that is true or not. But its nothing you cant get use to, just takes a little more awareness. I think Aron Gwin uses it on some courses on his Session 9.9, so they must have some good power.

After owning my m4s for a year now, they work superbly and have never let me down. No noises, no weird feeling through the levers, they just work. The added modulation over the competition gets you out of those tricky loose, steep sections that usually cause normal brakes to lock up skid. The only downside to the tech lever is that they designed the cap to not fit flush against the master cylinder, so you get a little leaking. Now I don't know if they've resolved it, but that is an issue with mine. I took the cap off after 7 months of riding and checked the fluid; barely any, not even a noticeable amount was missing. So even though there is brake residue on the caps, not much if any is coming out.

So even with that issue, I would go out and buy another set.

What type of riding do you do?
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

Quote Originally Posted by camarosam View Post
    I have not ridden the X2, but own a set of hope tech m4s. And the main difference with Hope brakes over the competition is modulation/feel/reliability. I have heard great things about xtr brakes as well, and from what I have read about the new xtr is that they are pretty powerful. But with little modulation, this is what I've read, so I have no experience to testify whether that is true or not. But its nothing you cant get use to, just takes a little more awareness. I think Aron Gwin uses it on some courses on his Session 9.9, so they must have some good power.

After owning my m4s for a year now, they work superbly and have never let me down. No noises, no weird feeling through the levers, they just work. The added modulation over the competition gets you out of those tricky loose, steep sections that usually cause normal brakes to lock up skid. The only downside to the tech lever is that they designed the cap to not fit flush against the master cylinder, so you get a little leaking. Now I don't know if they've resolved it, but that is an issue with mine. I took the cap off after 7 months of riding and checked the fluid; barely any, not even a noticeable amount was missing. So even though there is brake residue on the caps, not much if any is coming out.

So even with that issue, I would go out and buy another set.

What type of riding do you do?

i have Tech M4's on 3 of my bikes - Ti456 / VF2 / Nicolai Helius AM.

The XTR's were going on a Helius AC 29er. However, I have decided to try the new X2 Evo's instead.

oh - riding is mainly XC / Technical trail. [Occasional Laggan Black + Fort William]...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If your riding xc technical type riding I would go with the X2s. I read another review that someone has posted and he put the new xtr's on his Giant reign and said they are very powerful and can lock up the wheel very easy. So from what I'm getting so far that it may be a very wooden feel type brake, but then again this review may be flawed as well.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

offroader
    Dec 2008
    The hope look bulky and I believe they're heavier.

i have ridden the XTR's just not the Hopes.

i thought the xtr lever was plasticky / cheap / and had a crap spring return action, but they area lot lighter and offer more power too...... hence the dilemma / dilemna....

i have, as mentioned, always used Hopes since the mid 90's - never once had a problem with them tbh....

it's a nice problem to have / to decide

mtbr member
    Tech X2 Evo FTW. Can't go past them for power/modulation. Absolutely brilliant.

Even do a Tech M4/X2 combo for a little more power up front.

b a n n e d
    Perhaps its just me and my experiences, but I'd be hesitant to put an X2 out front. but then again, I ride fast AM terrain with lots of looooong descents (4+ miles down). I run an M4/X2 combo and its superb.

For XC riding, you probably could get away with the X2 in front. If weight is a concern, why not go for the X2 Race?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've had hope M4's one bike for 3 years and they have been flawless in all conditions--no drag and quiet. Took the sram xx off my new bike because they didn't compare to the hopes. Plus one brake lever shattered when it lightly hit a tree. Replaced them with race X2 and they again are awesome--great feel, no drag, no sqeal, and the levers solidly built.