mtbr member

shimano xtr real world reviews

I have been looking at reviews on here for the 2012 xtr race brakes. The reviews are not overwhelming great. Im torn between the xtr race brakes and the xt brakes, but the reviews kinda worry me. can anyone give me some "real world" reviews from all of you.

thx for the help!
    Mike
    I ride a bike, therefore I am!

mtbr member
    I've had nothing but good experiences with the XTR Race brakes. My bike came with SRAM XOs which I really didn't care for. Switched to Formula R1s (okay), and then deiced to go back to Shimano. I should have never gone with any other brand. I will admit that I have a bias towards Shimano stuff but its just because I've always found it to work the best for my riding style and component preferences.

The XTR Race brakes are great. I ride a 5" travel bike and ride mostly Northeast single track. Lots of steep long downhills and technical trail. The XTRs offer plenty of stopping power with one or two fingers. They're dead simple to work on, have great lever feel, and are light. I'm running 160mm rotors front and rear but will probably go to a 180mm front this season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    LOVED them so much i got them on one bike and then poof- on my other.

THEN- the 20 degree day came this weekend and the braking lever modulation turned to crap. just like that. the other post a few down from here talks about the issue which is know. If i knoew about this, my bad for not doing the proper research, beforehand I would NOT have gotten them. I had Avid J7's for yeas and liked them alot- pretty bomb proof- and never got wonky in the cold!

try a biddies on a cold day before you buy....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa View Post
    LOVED them so much i got them on one bike and then poof- on my other.

THEN- the 20 degree day came this weekend and the braking lever modulation turned to crap. just like that. the other post a few down from here talks about the issue which is know. If i knoew about this, my bad for not doing the proper research, beforehand I would NOT have gotten them. I had Avid J7's for yeas and liked them alot- pretty bomb proof- and never got wonky in the cold!

try a biddies on a cold day before you buy....
    blame that on the mineral oil. Magura's do the same thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thats really unfortunate. i would not have spent the coin if i did the research first. i seriously never thought it would be an issue as my j7's were pretty much flawless over the years. not haveing ridden the MO fluid lines- it did not cross my mind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I haven't seen a day below freezing for many years. I love my XTR Race brakes. I can't believe they work as well as they do. Granted, I never ride in rain or mud. And I weigh 150lbs and regret braking at any time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Brakes are great, hose is ****.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love mine! Running 180/160 combo with Ashima rotors.

mtbr member
    Swapped previous gen XTRs for the new trail XTRs on my trail bike. Was going to pass the old brakes onto my hardtail.

Like the new ones so much I'm flicking the old brakes and buying new XTs for the hardtail.
    Too Old to Die Young