mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Shimano XTR Race vs XTR Trail pad clearance

Hi folks, Im really fed up with my Formula R1 constant rotor rubbing so Im looking for some replacement.
    Shimano brakes in general have the "fit and fotget" reputation and thats exactly what Im looking for.
    Id just like to know, if there is any significant difference between pad clearance of XTR Race and XTR Trail.

Based on what I have seen and tried at my LBS, Trails pad clearance is really generous, Race model seems to be noticeably tighter (probably due to absence of Servo Wave lever) but thats all on new bikes with pads not burnished.

Is there anyone with real world experience, ideally riding both Race and Trail models?

Im more after the Race model, as I dont need either tool-less reach adjustment or Free Stroke adjustment (what I have heard does almost nothing anyway) Plus, I really like their smooth lever feel.

But if the pad clearance is significantly better on Trail model, I would probably take those, cause I dontt really want to spend hours in garage adjusting the calipers again.

Or the other (and maybe the most "rational") option would be saving some money and buying SLX, which should have the same power, but they come at much heavier package and I dont like their design too...

Thanks for any help!

human dehumidifier
    If the race and trail setups use the same calipers then there would be no difference in the pad clearance.

FWIW, rubbing pads drive me nuts too.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

g3h6o3
    Comparing my XTR Trails to my Formula Megas, the Shimanos are far easier to run rub free. I don't know about newer Formulas however but if I remember correctly clearance was even worse on fhe new gen.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I thought that was one of the improvements on the 2013 formula brakes, increased pad clearance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You are right, all 2013 Formulas should have more pad clearance. They call it ECT - Enhanced Caliper Technology and it definitely is a major improvement for their 2013 lineup (although I dont know anyone riding them, but they have pretty positive references on some german forum), but my R1s happen to be MY2012 so their pad clearance is really tight and their power is also not much good.

mtbr member
    Its my understanding that there isnt anything different between the Calipers. The trail version has finned pads and heavier levers. I have m975 XTR brakes and they never rub.

g3h6o3
    I did not know about improvements for 2013, I was referring to the Oro vs. newer design!

Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    I thought that was one of the improvements on the 2013 formula brakes, increased pad clearance.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.